Off for a night in the woods tomorrow night - 1st solo camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
still to my 1st solo so ye need to let me no how ye get on!!

nice to see the support on here, scare the s**t oot ye seems to vbe the tone i think!!

after that link i think al leave it fur a while.......at least to summer & be tucked up b4 the darkness comes!!

Firebug

Jan 17, 2011
Louisville, Ky
Ach you'll be fine

Just remember you're the scariest thing out there :)

I like that. That's what I'd need to remember. I have done tons of overnighters (Saturday being the most recent) and yet I've never done any by myself. Id like the challenge...
We had a coyote right up behind our shelter the other night. It didn't scare me one bit but if I'd been alone... yeah, maybe just a smidge...:)

RJames

Forager
Jun 25, 2008
Durham, UK
I'm alive!! haha

What a wonderful evening I had... except the bit where I left my camera at home and didn't take any pics. DOH!

Parked my car up at the gate to the ford and walked the mile or so into the woods where we have our little shack. I set up my DD tarp and frontline hammock with the front of the tarp open to the fireplace to catch some heat, and proceeded to bimble about for some dead wood. I found an old dead hanging oak branch about 8 inches in diameter which the laplander and wildlife hatchet soon had split into thumb sticks and bigger logs so I had half a chance of keeping warm.

Right then. fire lit with my flint and steel and a bit of char cloth [1st time trying this in a real bush situation] and the kettle on for my rehydrated noodles and chorizo dinner. While I was brewing up I dug a 2 foot square pit, stuck some metal tubing in the bottom and attached my foot pump ready for a spot of forging. I used home made lumpwood charcoal for the forge and with that little pump it gives out some ferocious heat. I managed to make 3 flint strikers and the rough shape of a blade in the evening I was out.

After dinner I wandered up to the nearest sett and waited out to see if I could see any movement. Unfortunately the badgers didn't want to play.

I walked back into camp, climbed into my new nanok sleeping bag and read my book with a few nips of sloe gin form the hip flask [purely medicinal you understand]

I have to say the whole evening was complete bliss, and packing up this morning to come back to 'civilisation' I realised I really should go out on my own more often

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE