Odd behaviour from an Ash Tree...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Cant quite get my head around this one. This Ash tree is still hanging onto its keys despite it being the middle of May. All the others have shed their keys, but this one appears to know something the others dont...Anyone got any explanations??? Its not in a particularly sheltered spot...

ashtree003.jpg

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
They've all dropped up here where it's been widdling down for a couple of weeks.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
is this unusual? i think that it's a fairly common sight around here to see ash hanging on to it's keys throughout the year.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
is this unusual? i think that it's a fairly common sight around here to see ash hanging on to it's keys throughout the year.

Okay. So what dictates when they drop, and why not at the obvious time, autumn, in order to make use of the warm spring to germinate. Or am I asking too much of nature to always follow a plan???

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
ok, so here's a guess, and not a very well educated one at that. we've had a couple of hard winters recently, with cold snaps fairly late into spring - these surely must slow down the development of keys in the first place. so if we assume that the keys are late getting started then maybe they've not reached the right stage of development when the time to drop them comes around (influenced i would guess by either falling temperatures or shorter days) so the tree ends up hanging on to them. another hard winter follows and the keys are very effectively killed off where they hang, dead keys can obviously no longer reach the stage of development neccesary for them to fall naturally so they end up hanging there until time takes it's course and the keys are knocked from the tree by the elements.

all speculation based upon many different poorly understood subjects so please don't quote me.

i think that asking nature to follow a plan may well be asking for a little too much. someone on here has the signature line of "nature has no rules, only habits" (sorry if i've mis-quoted) credited to hakim bey, it's one of the many signature lines on here that would appear to contain not a little wisdom.

stuart

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I've just had a look at some more trees round the farm and actually - sme still have keys and some don't.

ledders666

Jun 6, 2010
bath
the reason is because they have a 18 month - 2 year cycle on keys, and need good frost to break dormancy once the seeds once there off

Davidn

Forager
Jan 19, 2009
Sussex
Cant quite get my head around this one. This Ash tree is still hanging onto its keys despite it being the middle of May. All the others have shed their keys, but this one appears to know something the others dont...Anyone got any explanations??? Its not in a particularly sheltered spot...

ashtree003.jpg

Not odd, just nature.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
the reason is because they have a 18 month - 2 year cycle on keys, and need good frost to break dormancy once the seeds once there off

So why do they shed yearly? Its just odd that this tree has held onto its keys, while all around have shed them. The vagaries of nature, huh! It will be interesting to see if this particular tree produces any "new season" keys this year...

Last edited:

crwydryny

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2008
south wales
there are a lot of ash trees wher I live and it's not uncommon for one or two to keep them for months after the other's have lost them

but if you think that's weird behavour from an ash tree you should have seen the one I had to cut down last year (it was about the height of a 3 story house and had to come down due to damage to the sewer pipes, foundation of the house and causing damp) we first tried the chainsaw... it burnt out the saw before we got an inch into the trunk. forcing us to cut it down with a hand saw (there was no room to swing teh axe) by the end we had all of a square inch of trunk to go and despite using wedges and tensioned ropes it still refused to fall until we managed to get ahold of an old builders acro and pushed it over (after a lot of effort). I think everyone present was like "***!!!!" when they realised how much (or rather how little) was holding the tree up. and yes during the whole ordeal (which took 2 days, for a total of 12+ hours of work... it was a big tree) there were lots of jokes about how the tree will only go and fall the wrong way, or how it would remain standing after we cut through it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE