OD dye

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
It's cotton.
I've several 5.11 shirts in khaki but only one in o.g.

Would like to dye another couple green.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It's cotton.
I've several 5.11 shirts in khaki but only one in o.g.

Would like to dye another couple green.
WARNING WARNING WARNING
The tread is synthetic and will not take up the dye - you will have a green shirt with khaki stitching ... like I do...
We could always start a new fashion trend of contrast stitchery - or you could buy a few new OG shirts :)

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
WARNING WARNING WARNING
The tread is synthetic and will not take up the dye - you will have a green shirt with khaki stitching ... like I do...
We could always start a new fashion trend of contrast stitchery - or you could buy a few new OG shirts :)

Doesn't it look not bad though,with such a contrast or is it a bit high st fashion looking?
Mind,there is a lot of stitching in these shirts.

chutes

Banned
May 6, 2012
Australia
I don't think anyone makes OD dye, but you can.

Here's the proportions for RIT liquid clothing dye: OLIVE DRAB..............1/2 cup Dark Green......1/4 cup Dark Brown.

I think they also sell Dylon dye in the UK. This comes in Olive which is close to olive drab, but is a bit bright. Perhaps three parts olive to two parts brown would get you close to an Olive Drab colour.

As for the polyester stitching issue, there's nothing you can do about that but live with it. I kind of like the look - it's rustic.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Funnily enough, I'm planning to dye a couple of pairs of trousers using dylon machine dye in Olive Green.

It's two pairs of Helikon SFU pants...one pair is already described as olive green but a little too bright for my liking and the other is a stone/sand colour. They're a nylon/cotton mix (50% of each) but it's just occurred to me that the thread may be polyester so is likely to pick up the dye differently.

Anyone had any experiences dyeing these trousers/fabrics and did it work?

I'd hate to ruin a couple of great pairs of trousers although admittedly their present colours means I don't wear them as much as I otherwise would.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE