October camp up the permission with Xander and i camp @ butlins PIC HEAVY

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
so last saturday myself and Alex( Xander) and Pete (i camp @ butlins) had a night up the permission.
after the traditional rush to get everything packed and so on we got there
Alex and Pete put up Alex's new tent
PA220138.jpg

PA220139.jpg

i put up the group tarp/my sleep area, i really like using the DD xl tarp and using small sticks to improve the space available.
PA220140.jpg

Pete decided he was on tea duty for the weekend, i suspect he wanted to play with the new storm kettle i recieved recently.(lovely bit of kit well impressed)
PA220151.jpg

we hung out for a while and just enjoyed being in the woods,
PA220144.jpg

Lisa, shannon and jake stopped in on the way back from shopping to say hello
PA220146.jpg

Jake seems really content in the woods no crying or fussing just sat there looking around taking it all in :) que proud dad and the phrase that's my boy
PA220147.jpg

once they had visited we got started on the evening meal, pot roasted venison cooked with assorted veg in a red wine gravy following a recipe given to me by Mesquite-cheers Steve absolutely awesome.
preparing the veg
PA220162.jpg

Sealing the meat
PA220175.jpg

Adding the veg
PA220178.jpg

we then cooked this for about three hours checking every so often to make sure the fluid didnt run out
While this was cooking we carried on drinking tea and generally shooting the breeze.
PA220157.jpg

i worked on some horse hoof fungus i had very kindly been sent
PA220186.jpg

PA220187.jpg

PA220196.jpg

the finished meal! nom nom nom nom
PA220204.jpg

once we had eaten we made some charcloth
PA220251.jpg

then after a few more brews using a very simple pot hook i knocked up we turned in
PA220249.jpg

the next morning after venison tortillla wraps for breakfast my sister came to pick pete up for sunday roast but stayed for a hot chocolate
PA230286.jpg

myself and alex had a bit longer to stay out so it was time to play with some man made tinders and the spark stick
PA230264.jpg

PA230261.jpg

then using a flint and steel we made fire using the charcloth before we headed home
PA230274.jpg

PA230281.jpg

PA230282.jpg

PA230288.jpg

PA230289.jpg

PA230291.jpg

hope you enjoyed the photos as much as pete alex and myself enjoyed out night out.
next one is planned for december to celebrate my 30th

one last pic that i really like :)
PA220171.jpg

looks like a great time mate, how was the bed roll ?
it was good. i did take a poncho liner as well but i had done a horrific batch of night shifts when i am tired i feel very cold no matter what i wear or sleep in.

Steve glad to hear it mate not sure what grub we'll be doing but i'm sure we can come up with something equally impressive :)
it was delicious as main meal, supper and breakfast :)

xander

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2011
bedford england
it was a great day and night and i had a lot of fun and even though it was my idea to get a big chunk of deer i have to say it was one of the best meals ive had in a long time and if i was served it in a restaurant id have been chuffed let alone cooked in a wood on a camp fire by me and sam and pete lol

Jul 18, 2011
Hitchin, England
good weekend lads... especially the venison. Don't ask me why but for some reason Jake he looks like he should be holding a beer in that picture... Nice to see Soph's very quick foray into the world of bushcraft has been documented for all eternity... December it is then!

Jul 18, 2011
Hitchin, England
Cool pics dude.

Could you tell me about how you suspended that pot? i've never seen that method.

Thenihilist - we (well, they) suspended the pot on some flat-ish logs that were burning slowly on top of the fire so we needed to keep an eye on them to make sure they didn't collapse. It was all fine though, managed to get some serious heat to the pot and it stayed dead level the whole time...

thenihilist do you mean the dutch oven or the kettle?
like i camp at butlins says dutch oven was just balanced on the logs and monitored to make sure it didn't take a dive into the embers
the kettle was just hung on a hooky stick which was clove hitched onto a bit of string on the hook end and wrapped around a tripod at the other
glad everyone likes the pics

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE