Occasional camper pops in

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 17, 2012
England
Hi,

Just a quick note as I've registered and posted elsewhere in the forum.

I used to camp regularly in the '80s and '90s but have done less in the last few years (camping with the missus is a quite traumatic experience), though have just taken the opportunity to load a little gear into the car and do a whistle stop tour of Scotland with our 14-year old lad.

Tents wise, I'm fortunate enough to have both a Phoenix Phortress and Phreespirit Superlight for 1/2 person camping and also a Coleman Weathermaster 8/12 person for when the 3 of us head outdoors.

The Phortress, bought in 1989, was my first proper tent and has served me well. It's accompanied me on a number of trips to Europe, and has kept the worst of the wind and rain off in the Highlands of Scotland on many on occasion. This is the tent that has just done Fort William (peaceful couple of nights), Ullapool (peaceful night again), Durness (screaming gales all night, virtually no sleep) and Blair Atholl (constant, relentless rain) and kept us cosy and warm.

The Phreespirit Superlight was bought on a whim a couple of years later, but has proved invaluable when travelling by (smaller) motorbike and also proved the to be perfect for putting over the boy's travel cot when we started family camping. I'm sure that's probably illegal, but he survived ok.

And despite my reservations, the Coleman has been excellent too. The other half isn't big on camping, and it's ended up that if we go away as a family, we take the Coleman or we don't go. It's heavy and awkward to transport (though oddly it would fit in both the boot of a Citroen AX and Saxo, but not in a Skoda Octavia estate without me dropping the rear seat), but has proved itself in some truly dreadful conditions.

So why am I here? I suppose the easy answer is that having driven the 470 miles home from Aviemore yesterday, I had a glass of wine, felt all dewey-eyed at what we and our brave little tend had achieved and typed "Phortress" into google and followed the links, but I guess a better answer is that I'd like to discover what tents are around these days that are light, resistant to the worst that Scotland can throw at them, but are sufficiently big that a somewhat portly ageing gent can move around in comfort on his airbed (stop giggling at the back) rather than bouncy-shuffling about like a drunk seal and here seemed a good a place to ask.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Hi Occasional,

Welcome back oh dewey eyed one. Sounds like fun time had, the screaming gale sounds great and glad your tent weathered it ok. Perhaps what you would be after researching is the Golite tpi type range of tents as they look like they would suite but am sure others will be able to give you a more value opinion of where you should look. I've a Hilleberg akto which fits the bill in all but size for your requirements so perhaps the Hilleberg larger models would suite. They're not cheap as you I'm sure are already aware of but they are well made and do the job as a long term investment.

Aug 17, 2012
England
Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions.

I'm in no gret rush to get the next tent as realistically it won't get used until next year, so I'll keep my eyes open and see what's about.

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
FaichemardTrip
Hi dewey-eyed camper and Welcome to the site

Theirs lots of options out there, being a seasoned camper in the fickle weather we get up in Scotland here are a few choices which I can recommend
S7300309.JPG

The one on e the left is a Vaude Hogan old shape and the one on the right is a Hilleberg nallo gt which gives you a porch area about the same size as your sleeping area both these tents have been out in 60+mile winds and will pack down to fit in a rucksack both of these are 2 man tents.
or you could have a look at these
S7300312.JPG

this is a tentipi 6 man with a woodburn fitted dam cozy in winter or this
S7300315.JPG

which is FBA bell tent which is a 3 man tent.
These 2 are both car camping tents as they are canvas and heavy but both should fit your boot.
The hilleberg and tentipi tent are on the expensive at over £500 plus each where as the Vaude and the FBA come in at less the £250 .
I guess it will be down to personal choice and what you want to do.
Hope this helps
Bob
[h=2][/h]

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE