obsessive sharpening and microscopy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I am a bit of an obsessive character. I get going on things and want to understand it to the full and really get to the bottom of it. A current obsession is sharpening. Not in the "I give mine a touch up every time I slice a piece of paper with it because I like to know it's scary sharp" kind of way. I only sharpen tools for woodworking and like to spend the minimum time getting to a good workable edge.

Any way the reason for the post is to brag about a new toy (well at least I am honest)
To really understand what you are doing with your stones, grinders, hones, strops or whatever there is nothing better than seeing the edge under great magnification.

I first saw Japanese woodworkers doing this at a meeting in Germany in 2005. They used a cheap little hand held microscope, easily available off ebay for £10 like this.
!CDwgB9QB2k~$(KGrHqIOKiQEz7ZC9ZTMBNPsZ!mrPw~~0_1.JPG

Well I got one and they work OK but have poor light and very narrow depth of field so they require a fair skill level to examine the length of the edge of a knife. Still recommended though. I teach basic sharpening on spoon carving courses but had been considering teaching a pure sharpening course and so wanted something that gave a much better view of the edge without being so fiddly.

After ages trawling ebay I bought a new binocular microscope and it is simply fantastic.
42632255.jpg

This one http://uk.farnell.com/duratool/59-020-060/microscope-stereo/dp/7222300

Great lighting and great depth of field. 20x or 40x magnification is perfect and you can see precisely what you have done with each stone before deciding whether to move to the next. There are other ways of knowing when you have done enough work on the each stone, the Japanese woodworkers I have worked with tend to feel for a bur with wet fingertips but this requires a lot of experience to feel particularly when you get down past 5000 grit.

So my evenings at the moment are spent sharpening my collection of antique Japanese axes and peeking at them under great magnification, the time flies by. Am I a bit sad?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Noooooooo ....... not sad at all - just very honest, perhaps too honest...... we all realy want a play on that toy :)
but some will not admit it :D

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....Am I a bit sad?

most certainly, but please don't take that as an insult, it definately wasn't intended as one, i'm half tempted to throw all my sharps in a bag and jump on the next train to edale! who could say no to an unshaven, unwashed, tatty clothed and generally scruffy looking shaggystu turning up at their door with a big bag of knifes and axes asking to use their microscope to make sure that everything's as sharp as it needs to be...............wait a second, brain just just kicked in, i was half an hour away from being arrested at sheffield station just then, close call!

have fun with your new toy robin, looks like a good one

stuart

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Glad to see I'm not the only one suffering from the microscopy bug - although mine's for yeast wrangling for brewing purposes, and when I talk about "high magnification", I mean 1000x. ;) (And I'm seriously thinking about buying a pair of 16x oculars to take it up to 1600x...) It's amazing the sort of kit you can get at quite reasonable prices these days.

Must try having a look at a knife edge at a mere 40x... That's the lowest magnification on mine. :D

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I keep looking at the USB microscopes they say they go up to 400x

but reading the write ups on them they dont fair very well yet

ATB

Duncan

I have seen reasonable knife edge photos taken with a cheapie microscope which is marketed as a toy the QX3 They pop up on ebay and go for less than £20 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270689529823&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

They are not really good sharp images but good enough to see what you need to see. The best option is a microscope like mine but with a digital camera attachment they were out of the price range. I think you can get a camera which replaces one of the eyepieces which may be an option for good images.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I have one of those cheap plastic jobs. I've used it for knives so much it has a groove across the front. Sharpening knives is what I call a "zen" activity (apologies to any buddhists out there) from "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". Its an activity that cannot be hurried and which totally absorbs you. You will only get a good result if you really care about how it's going to turn out. It exercises your physical intelligence more than your emotional and analytical intelligence, with the result that it can be very restful for the mind.

Using a microscope is a very natural thing to do. It is a way to view the beauty of your work.

Z

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
I think you can get a camera which replaces one of the eyepieces which may be an option for good images.

At one time you could get an adapter to hook a SLR body without lens to a microscope. You took one of the eyepieces (binocular scope) off and replaced it with a glorified spacer. The end of the spacer was a 'T-mount' and you used a T-mount adapter on your camera body to hook the whole thing up. Maybe still available?

Cheers

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
now-a-days the camera is digital (I've used one recently)
This one mounted seperatly (so both eye pieces were still there) although is then hooked to the PC at lots of trickery commenced....
I'm not going to get into a magnification debate.....but I contimplated giving some loitering bacteria a shave ;)

Mojo

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
With a small tripod and a bit of trial & error you should be able to get your average pc-cam to look down a microscope eyepiece.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm bad enough about getting my edges perfect and maintaining them as it is. One of those will make me ten times as bad...... must resist.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
I got a 40x loupe and I wouldn't want to be without it now. It's great for sharpening and straight razors. Once you get into precise sharpening, there is no way back.

flexo

Forager
Dec 3, 2010
france
i thought i was the only maniac on earth to do so!
but i found someone worse than i! i use a kind of magnifying glass wich is used for counting threads when weaving,get a good idea of what happens with that,and no light or focus issue,and enough for me!
well you'll be a master sharpener and give classes to a certain m. carter!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE