Object To This !!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dynamite Dan

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 19, 2007
BlackBurn, Lancashire
hmmmm.
I believe in renewable energy, i think it is a smart way to help clean up the planet, i know it may ruin a bit of the tranquillity of the wilderness, but you have to pay a price sooner or later.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sorry, I'm with Dan on this one. No one wants a power station in their favourite places, but I'd rather see wind turbines than a coal fired power station - for more reasons than carbon emissions (although thats reason enough). When we move to North of Scotland shortly we plan to use our own solar and wind power. It would be wrong of me to object to others doing the same.

I'm not having a dig - this is a tricky issue, but I'm in favour of energy independence for the UK and sustainable, non CO2 emitting power. There will need to be tough choices - but I believe its worth it

Red

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
According to the website the deadline was 6th of July, which was yesterday..

Read the site and it sounds like typical council stuff, no doubt in it for their own ends, a wee handshake there, a pay off here.. etc. Would surprise me if one or more had some sort of 'connection' with the contractors...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I hate to say this folks, but realisticly, nuke power is the only way we are going to solve our energy needs, certainly for the next 50 years or so:confused:

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
This is certainly a contentious issue. I think I'm right in saying last time they tried this - the waves broke the cable taking the power to the mainland. It was not transmitting the energy for 8 months at the last count.

There are viable green alternatives in more industrialised areas. The call for a wave turbine system across the Severn ( with one of the highest tidal ranges in the world) COULD give us 20% of the regions needs. Individual solar and wind turbines again 20% of our own needs - but then think insulation, turning off the TV (you would be stunned by the number of people still leaving it on standby overnight) and walking 3/4 of a mile to the shops.

Supermarkets are investigating using food waste to provide their own power on site for refrigirators and lighting.

The biggest thing we need is to overcome the 'bling/chav' waste mentaility of more is better.

I pay for more regular services to run Biodiesel in a Peugeot which already does 60mpg, I burn wood I cut from sustanable sources and I refuse to turn the heating up for guests in winter. I offer them a blanket and believe it or not, I have people tell me they won't come to my house again because of it. - Fine.

This surely has to be a last resort - and remeber Noway nearly lost it's poulation of Sea Eagles when they did the same thing - or had a huge dent in the numbers at least.

I'm s orr y, I don't believe those of us in urban areas have the right to ruin beautiful wilderness until we have done EVERYTHING else we can, and I have to agree with RIk, we need nuclear, but we need a sustainable range of sources.

longshot

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 16, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
not my neck of the woods but lets face it, if we want wild areas we are going to have to do something, wind is renewable, non poluting, and while not "the" answer to climate change it is "an" answer to climate change. as for tourism, i believe many would like to tour and see a real working wind farm that can be shown to provide clean energy. as to subsidities, does anyone really believe that the conventional power companies are not subsidized in some way? through tax credits, transportation subsidies, grants for scrubbers to clean the emmissions from smoke stacks at coal and oil plants? when these eyesores were built most objected to hugh monstresties (sp?) cluttering the skyline for those who could and had to see them. in time people adapted and just got used to them, the same will happen with the wind turbine towers but we would not have to breath the toxic vapors and general junk that we have been for the past how many years? some thing to think about.

dean

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Read the site and it sounds like typical council stuff, no doubt in it for their own ends, a wee handshake there, a pay off here.. etc. Would surprise me if one or more had some sort of 'connection' with the contractors...

Ahh thats where I've been going wrong, you see I chose to work in planning because I wanted to help build a better more sustainable community for everyone. I should be lining my own pockets like all the people who seem to think that is all work is for.

In any event you will of course have noticed that the decision is actually being taken by the Scottish Executive (i.e. the Goverment) and not the locally elected council, as renewable schemes exceding 50 megawatts in Scotland are considered as part of the national infrastructure. You'll also, of course, have read the Highland Council's published strategy on renewable energy which of course you will have taken the opportunity to contribute towards when you had the opportunity during the public consultation from October 2005 through to January 2006?

I'm sure you wouldn't have just gone off on one half cocked having read three sentences on a partisan website and decided to make libellous allegations (good job you didn't name names) about people who actually care enough about their community to do something.

Scoops

"Public meetings were attended by over 600 persons and more than 500 written representations were also considered by the Council prior to finalising the Strategy."

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourenvi...bleenergy/highlandrenewableenergystrategy.htm

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Where I live there are at least 3 windfarms within sight and to be honest you kind of get used to them .I am all for it, however I think Nagual was spot on about the council thing . The gravy train runs through every town and city .:)

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Ahh thats where I've been going wrong, you see I chose to work in planning because I wanted to help build a better more sustainable community for everyone. I should be lining my own pockets like all the people who seem to think that is all work is for.

In any event you will of course have noticed that the decision is actually being taken by the Scottish Executive (i.e. the Goverment) and not the locally elected council, as renewable schemes exceding 50 megawatts in Scotland are considered as part of the national infrastructure. You'll also, of course, have read the Highland Council's published strategy on renewable energy which of course you will have taken the opportunity to contribute towards when you had the opportunity during the public consultation from October 2005 through to January 2006?

I'm sure you wouldn't have just gone off on one half cocked having read three sentences on a partisan website and decided to make libellous allegations (good job you didn't name names) about people who actually care enough about their community to do something.

Scoops

"Public meetings were attended by over 600 persons and more than 500 written representations were also considered by the Council prior to finalising the Strategy."

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourenvi...bleenergy/highlandrenewableenergystrategy.htm

You are absolutely right, it was half cocked and just a knee jerk reaction to it, however it doesn't mean that I'm wrong, lets face it our government is not exactly clean. Everytime a new party comes to power various underhand doings come to light.

I am glad that you have a passion to do good, and dare say most do. However it doesn't mean that everyone is.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Where I live there are at least 3 windfarms within sight and to be honest you kind of get used to them .I am all for it, however I think Nagual was spot on about the council thing . The gravy train runs through every town and city .:)

I have to disagree, you are of course all entitled to think as you please. I look to see the best in people, and mostly I am right. Look at this site as an example, 6000'ish people on it, and 99.99999% are good, decent, honest, kind people.

I have learnt that people believe 'others' capable and culpable of what they themselves are willing to do.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm kind of in two minds about this. Before I came to Germany, I certainly would not have wanted wind turbines built in my back yard. There are shedloads here in the Rheinland-Pfalz and it really surprised me when I arrived as I did not expect them. In fact, I'm looking through my front window as I right this, over the village up to the hill on the other side of the valley...I can just see the top of one turbine and the rotor tips of another.

I've got use to them now after a couple of years and they are really now a true part of the landscape. They are strangely hypnotic...and they do not detract from the scenery.

If you want a comparison, think about the Fylingdales 'golf balls' - there was outcry when they installed these high-power space-tracking radars and radomes on the Yorkshire moors, but more protest when they were removed. By that time, they had become a tourist attraction and were an accepted part of the landscape. Now you have the BMEWS 'pyramid' instead.

Anyway, back to the point. If you had asked me a few years ago, I would have signed the petition. Now, I'm not so sure. I still don't know what I would say if someone tried to put them up near my own house in the UK but I'm certainly more informed than I was and - I would argue - unlike many on this forum, I actually live with wind turbines on a daily basis.

As to the nuclear power debate, this becomes an argument of fear over practicality, disinformation from both sides, and this forum is probably not the place to debate it.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
I have to disagree, you are of course all entitled to think as you please. I look to see the best in people, and mostly I am right. Look at this site as an example, 6000'ish people on it, and 99.99999% are good, decent, honest, kind people.

I have learnt that people believe 'others' capable and culpable of what they themselves are willing to do.
Its not about being capable or culpable in your own mind , Its being streetwise .If you want to live in your own utopia where bribery and corruption doesnt happen then thats your business .
I myself abhor the whole cloak and dagger , handshake and under the table sector ,but unfortunately its happens .
I do however take exception to the "others" quote . It smacks of finger pointing :nono:

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I think my comments on the alleged corruption of our most wonderful government and it's servants has dragged this topic a tad off course. The choices are fairly simple and to me boils down to the simple choice of nuclear power, fossil fuel power or renewable power.

Nuclear power is abhorrent to me and while one of the most efficient ( as far as I'm led to believe ) just now, the waste it produces can't be dealt with in a safe manner ( imo )

Fossil fuel power cannot be regarded as a viable power source, we will run out eventually.

Renewable power has to be the way forward, and if we discount the above option we must face the possibility of sacrificing our land. Although wave power is becoming more viable, with recent aid into this technology more wave research is being carried out in the north of Scotland. I personally think this should be the way forward, Scottish waters are a prime location for this, but there isn't enough investment yet.

No one wants the wild life to come off worse for ourselves, but unless viable alternatives are given there isn't much of a choice. Assuming no underhand dealings go on, then Governments have to make choices based on what is best and they can afford to do Making decisions like that may well be a choice of 'damned if we do, damned if we don't' scenario.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
You are absolutely right, it was half cocked and just a knee jerk reaction to it, however it doesn't mean that I'm wrong, lets face it our government is not exactly clean. Everytime a new party comes to power various underhand doings come to light.

I am glad that you have a passion to do good, and dare say most do. However it doesn't mean that everyone is.

I'm not going to disagree with you, there are corrupt people in the world. True instances of corruption in government, local or national, are however very rare. Rare enough to always be a major scandal when uncovered. After all, corruption in public office is illegal. More commonly, people cry corruption when they don't get what they want.

In my opinion, it is unhelpful that politicians are always seeking to discredit eachother. It fuels the public perception of corruption. Debating the issues helps us all, political squabbles do not.

Scoops

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Its not about being capable or culpable in your own mind , Its being streetwise .If you want to live in your own utopia where bribery and corruption doesnt happen then thats your business .
Snip…….
I do however take exception to the "others" quote . It smacks of finger pointing :nono:

I am both street wise and street smart, it would be impossible to last in my profession without both. I just know that if you “seek, and ye shall find”. If you keep looking for the best in people, for the most part, you will find it, if your own personal motivation is to find the worst in people, it will reveal itself to you, you will bring it out, your behaviour and your attitude will make it happen.

As for my quote, I think your reaction proves my point, it was not aimed at you or anyone here, it was a generalisation. :rolleyes:

can we go back the the real topic now,

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
I myself abhor the whole cloak and dagger , handshake and under the table sector ,but unfortunately its happens .

When entering my quote in your reply I would have been happier if you hadnt removed bits.
Anyway , you are right .Lets not be steered away from the REAL issue here .
I am aware no direct offence was meant and none was taken .:sad6:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE