Oak carving (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
Thanks again everyone for your comments, they really are appreciated. :)

JohnC, I believe the room will be coloured to a warm medium oak colour. I'm hoping it won't be too dark as I did a large job in London last summer which was (at the customers request) stained almost black. It made it very hard to make out the detail in the carving, but the customer's always right I guess! Lol

John Fenna, Thats very kind of you, I won't tell your nephew-in-law you said it though! Lol Is he self employed, or does he work for a firm? And do you have any links to his work? I'd love to see some! You know it's going to be quality work when someone's asking the ex head of the KGB to part with money for it! Lol

bushwhacker bob, it is English oak, I think it's the lighting and my cr#ppy phone camera making it look lighter than it is. And yep, exactly right, stick the paper on and cut out the waste back to the lines. Then shape and detail the rest. Despite the dramatic look of the finished piece, I think most people who are competent with a chisel could accomplish something similar. :)

Toddy, I've done quite a few jobs like this over the last 2 or 3 years though I still consider myself a beginner with regards to carving. I'm actually an antique restorer by trade specializing in 16th-18th century oak furniture, so most of the carving I do reflects the styles of these dates and is in period houses. I think the study will look quite spectacular from the plans I've seen, wish I could afford it too, I'll have to wait till I retire and make my own! Lol

ZEbbEDY, it just takes practise mate, if you're ever in north Derbyshire you'll have to pop in for a brew. :)

Erdbeereis, with the design and making I think about 15 days (8 hour days). :)

I forgot to show some close ups of the punch work in the background, I'll dig some out and post them tomorrow.

Cheers

Mat

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
Thanks very much guys. :)

Bushwacker bob, I just use hitting chisels, but I use them to pare back the wood too. Being self taught I pretty much do whatever seems to work!

Thought I'd put some pics on of how I punch decorate the background. These pics are from some carved panels that were for the same job.

d42b988c.jpg

840201c0.jpg

76c434cf.jpg

This sort of decoration was used extensively on carved furniture from the 16th onwards with various styles of punch.

Thanks for looking

Mat

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Sorry - no links...
I think he is self employed but we are not a close family and I have only met him once :)
I did have a look through his stunning photo album once though - wow!
Oh - I dont think Putin put his own hand into his own pocket to pay for the desk....
Thanks again everyone for your comments, they really are appreciated. :)

JohnC, I believe the room will be coloured to a warm medium oak colour. I'm hoping it won't be too dark as I did a large job in London last summer which was (at the customers request) stained almost black. It made it very hard to make out the detail in the carving, but the customer's always right I guess! Lol

John Fenna, Thats very kind of you, I won't tell your nephew-in-law you said it though! Lol Is he self employed, or does he work for a firm? And do you have any links to his work? I'd love to see some! You know it's going to be quality work when someone's asking the ex head of the KGB to part with money for it! Lol

bushwhacker bob, it is English oak, I think it's the lighting and my cr#ppy phone camera making it look lighter than it is. And yep, exactly right, stick the paper on and cut out the waste back to the lines. Then shape and detail the rest. Despite the dramatic look of the finished piece, I think most people who are competent with a chisel could accomplish something similar. :)

Toddy, I've done quite a few jobs like this over the last 2 or 3 years though I still consider myself a beginner with regards to carving. I'm actually an antique restorer by trade specializing in 16th-18th century oak furniture, so most of the carving I do reflects the styles of these dates and is in period houses. I think the study will look quite spectacular from the plans I've seen, wish I could afford it too, I'll have to wait till I retire and make my own! Lol

ZEbbEDY, it just takes practise mate, if you're ever in north Derbyshire you'll have to pop in for a brew. :)

Erdbeereis, with the design and making I think about 15 days (8 hour days). :)

I forgot to show some close ups of the punch work in the background, I'll dig some out and post them tomorrow.

Cheers

Mat

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
Sorry - no links...
I think he is self employed but we are not a close family and I have only met him once :)
I did have a look through his stunning photo album once though - wow!
Oh - I dont think Putin put his own hand into his own pocket to pay for the desk....

Thanks for letting me know, John.

It's funny how, the richer you get the less you have to pay for! Lol

Cheers

Mat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE