Oak Brig

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Its been a while since Ive made anything apart from umpteen little metal wargames space ships so to ease myself back into wood work i knocked up a simple device to support a colander when straining whatever into one of my pancheons.

OakBrig_zpsogx2zxap.jpg

It was simplicity itself, just some 1 inch square reclaimed quarter sawn oak, two 22" battons and two 7" cross members with one inch long tennons cut in to the ends to match holes in the battons, glue, clamp together, sand and oil with food grade linseed oil.

Brigs were a standard piece of dairy equipment back in the day along with wooden stiles, basically a wooden bowl with holes in the base which was lined with muslin for straining. I think one of those will be my next turning job.

It will save herself having to use a upside down chair when straining. Ill give it a few more coats of oil.

ATB

Tom

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now that's a practical thing :) I've to use a hook that's screwed in under a shelf to hold straining bags.
Your's has a definite farmhouse look to it…..you need a cow in your dairy :D

M

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
TB: have you tried your hand at making cheese of any sort?
Found a USA site to supply culture kits for many popular varieties.
The colander and frame made me think of it.
Nice, clean workmanship in that, nothing to rust.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers folks! Oddly enough as soon as he saw it a mate said bring it over and we can make some cheese!

its a rather clumsy copy of one in this, a book I must get a cheap copy of as they demanded the library copy off me last month.

https://prospectbooks.co.uk/products-page/current-titles/traditional-food-in-northumbria/

i'm pretty pleased with the joints, nice and tight and glued with the stuff I use on my silly balsa planes. I thought they would need pegging as well.

Theres some more stuff I want make from it, when I get the wood, first off there's a glorified rounders baton they used to use for threshing small amounts of gleaned cereals ( says he looking at a stoneware bread bin full of 7lb Bere barley ) then there's the 6 inch diameter 4 foot handled whacking stick that goes with my dug up MSG mortar.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ah well, I did have the advantage of having the old school morticer I picked up second hand and restored, it cuts beautiful square holes. That coupled with making the tennons slightly oversized and using permagrits to sand them down to a good fit made getting them tight relatively easy.

ATB

Tom

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
That's a tidy bit of woodworking! If I may say, it looks over-engineered, but that is meant as a compliment - built big and to last is good!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! Oh aye, I think it looks clumsy myself, the one in the illustration looked 1/2 to 3/4 inch square section at most but since it's not got to be carried anywhere I thought what the hell! They would have to try to break this one.

When asked what it was while making it I convinced two out of three sons that it was a ladder to help there notoriously short mother to climb into the rather high industrial grade bed we had made...*

Mind these are are the kids ( if much older ) I convinced cows ate lions ( on the strength of you never see lions in a field full of cows ) and that the shiny new metal chimneys at the Hollands pie factory on the way to Accrington were part of the missile defence system to help defend the pies from Alien attack. Much to my delight they then took one down for what ever reason and was able to convince the more skeptical small boy that one had been launched to defend the establishment. As ever I digress.

ATB

Tom

* the slats under the mattress are so thick, wide and close together that I'm constantly tempted to take every other one to make stuff from ( white oak is now beyond my pocket ) like in The Great Escape and every other PoW film...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE