O1 Steel edge angle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tom57

Jan 1, 2008
london
Hi Guys,
I dont post here very often but maybe you can help me.
Im making a knife from O1 tool steel was was wondering how thin of an edge I can get away with with this steel. Its a scandi grind and hoping to hit 22 degrees inclusive.
Is this too thin for O1?

Thanks
Tom

tom57

Jan 1, 2008
london
The knife is just for general purpose. Ill stick with 22 and maybe put a microbevel depending on how my home bbq heat treat turns out.
Thanks for the help

WoodGnome

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2015
Germany/Northern Ireland
The usual scandi is from 23° to 30°, so I think you're pretty close with your 22°. The final use of the knife is the actual criterium you have to consider. If you're goint to do lots of batoning and prying with the knife/blade, I'd probably go towards the 30°, if it's intended for cutting mainly, I'd go more towards 22°. If it's something in between, well... 25° would be okay, I think.

"Too thin" actually really depends on what you intend to do with it.

I'm not a fan of micro-bevels. By putting one on, you're basically putting the scandi out of function and could directly go for a sabre grind.

Last edited:

WoodGnome

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2015
Germany/Northern Ireland
Not a more robust knife, but a more robust edge. The harder the task the greater the angle. That is something that is generally true, but it also depends on the steel that is used. The tougher the steel is, the steeper the angle can be chosen for the same cutting jobs as for a more brittle sort of steel.

At least that's what I was taught when I was working at a blacksmith to finance my studies.

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Not quite true... the thicker edge angles have not really been about too long. The woodlore has 28º iirc, but thats too thick in my opinion ( most thicker scandis are probably based on this) . The original Moras, had and still have a combined bevel angle of less than 18º and they work just fine.

The usual scandi is from 23° to 30°, so I think you're pretty close with your 22°. The final use of the knife is the actual criterium you have to consider. If you're goint to do lots of batoning and prying with the knife/blade, I'd probably go towards the 30°, if it's intended for cutting mainly, I'd go more towards 22°. If it's something in between, well... 25° would be okay, I think.

"Too thin" actually really depends on what you intend to do with it.

I'm not a fan of micro-bevels. By putting one on, you're basically putting the scandi out of function and could directly go for a sabre grind.

ED-E

May 22, 2012
Germany
My O1 knives vary from 18 to 24 degrees inclusive. O1 is a fantastic steel with a high edge stability. Just get the HT right.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2005
Stoke st micheal
Hi just one thing how wide is the grind. I was given a bushlor copy made from 01 it's full scandy with a 6mm grind, The blade is 3.5mm thick so has a 34 degree angle. Which I feel is to severe.
Would it weaken the blade if I took the grind to between 8 or 10mm which should give an angle of 25-20 degrees there abouts.

Cheers Guys

Martin

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
It shouldn't weaken it no, so long as the heat treat is good, but it will make it cut better if you don't get it too hot and ruin the temper while doing it.

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
22 degrees is minimum but is ok
I like to make most edges 22-27 degrees. 22 is more performance :) with cutting and slicing
Wille Sundqvist a master carves does his knives between 22 and 25
I like it for fine carving
depending on use
More an allround angle is 27 degrees, fi to split a log with a small knot
(Mora states the Companion is 23 degrees if ground flat (from the factory it has a micro) so thats why I say ok but minimum

Last edited:

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
The original Moras, had and still have a combined bevel angle of less than 18º and they work just fine.

do you refer to the Mora Classic? I have no means of measuring the angle myself so would be quite interested :)

ps I gave a 440 Marttiini steel scandi grind a flat grind (approx 20 degrees?) that was not such a good idea, to instable
with Moraclassic carbon steel no problemo

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yes, the classics.

I was commissioned to make a 3mm full tang version a while back, same grind angle etc.... it was 17.8º

440 isn't good for fine angles really... though some 440's are better than others, none are great for a fine edged knife.

do you refer to the Mora Classic? I have no means of measuring the angle myself so would be quite interested :)

ps I gave a 440 Marttiini steel scandi grind a flat grind (approx 20 degrees?) that was not such a good idea, to instable
with Moraclassic carbon steel no problemo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE