"O Deuce" D. O. Dessert

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
After viewing the "Finger Lickin Good" thread, I thought I would bake a dutch oven dessert. I dedicate this dessert to the members of the Naughty Corner Sergeant Major's Mess. Here's to you Martin, Andy, Neil and Cliff!

502nd "Infantry Blue" berry Upside-Down Cake

For this I used a #10 dutch oven lined with tinfoil (optional, easier cleanup). It is nice to have a trivet to put the lid on when checking the contents and a lid / oven lifter. Pre-heat your oven first.
DSCN1532.jpg

Melt two tablespoons of butter in the oven.
DSCN1534-1.jpg

Stir in 1/3 cup of brown sugar.
DSCN1536-1.jpg

Add one can of blueberry filling / topping and sprinkle 1/2 cup of pecans on the blueberry filling.
DSCN1537-1.jpg

Mix an 18 oz boxed cake mix according to package directions in a seperate bowl then add to the oven.
DSCN1538-1.jpg

Put the lid on and bake. This one took 40 minutes to bake. Check as needed and adjust coals as needed to prevent burning. Have a brewup while waiting. I like my Crusader.
DSCN1539-1.jpg

Test for doneness, I used broomstraw grass from the edge of the woods. It came out clean.
DSCN1543-1.jpg

Have a pre-cut piece of cardboard and wax paper. Trace the outline of the lid for this. Let the oven cool enough so that you can handle it. Put the wax paper in first and then the cardboard. Invert the oven and carefully place the cake on another cooking sheet. Easy peasy.

Mess call, let's chow down!
DSCN1547-1.jpg

Gordy

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE