Nyponsoppa Rosehip soup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have just tried swedish rosehip soup for the first time, and I must say, it's good!!! We have all had the flu this week and needed a nice natural vitamin kick, and boy nyponsoppa has just the kick for the winter grime.

The recipe was roughly based on roger phillips, but I looked about on the net for other versions. I found out when the google babel fish chews up and spits out swedish, the recipe ends asking for up to 1 litre of dried dog:eek: . I couldn't work out if nyponsoppa is supposed to be savoury or sweet, the final result was interesting and very nice.

1 litre of fresh rosehips
Covered with enough boiling water. Boil rapidly for 1/2 hour, and then mash. Pass mash through sieve and drain through cloth/jambag. I pour about a pint of hot water through the pulp in jambag to aid the process. Return the rose hip puree to heat with enough hot water added to serve enough soup for everyone.

Add 2 heaped tablespoons of pototo powder to pan (I used lidl puree)
Heat until thickens
Add sugar to taste. the recipes vary widely on how much sugar to add. I added about 100 grams with is very much on the savoury side, most recipes ask for more.

i served the soup hot with creme fresh and flaked almonds. I wouldn't add almonds again they ruin the texture. It can be served hot or cold.

xylaria

I have no idea on what is it suppose to taste like!!!

It tasted nice, it was a sweet as butternut squash soup. The amount of sugar is dependant on how sweet the hips are.

Can someone swedish say how sweet is it suppose to be? If you were to eat in a resturant what course is it normally served as?

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
Hi!
In Sweden rosehip soup, together with bilberry soup, is the common hot energydrink for winter (or year round) activities.
Not many people cook their own as it is sold as a powdermix in any foodstore but none of those who do use dog! :lmao:
You must post the original recipy in swedish so we can se what it is supposed to be!
It is normally sweet and can be eaten as breakfast (with or without cerial), as a snack or as desert. Try it hot with a scoop of icecream.
But basically, in a thermos on a cold day, it is a lifesaver.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I have just tried swedish rosehip soup for the first time, and I must say, it's good!!! We have all had the flu this week and needed a nice natural vitamin kick, and boy nyponsoppa has just the kick for the winter grime.

The recipe was roughly based on roger phillips, but I looked about on the net for other versions. I found out when the google babel fish chews up and spits out swedish, the recipe ends asking for up to 1 litre of dried dog:eek: . I couldn't work out if nyponsoppa is supposed to be savoury or sweet, the final result was interesting and very nice.

1 litre of fresh rosehips
Covered with enough boiling water. Boil rapidly for 1/2 hour, and then mash. Pass mash through sieve and drain through cloth/jambag. I pour about a pint of hot water through the pulp in jambag to aid the process. Return the rose hip puree to heat with enough hot water added to serve enough soup for everyone.

Add 2 heaped tablespoons of pototo powder to pan (I used lidl puree)
Heat until thickens
Add sugar to taste. the recipes vary widely on how much sugar to add. I added about 100 grams with is very much on the savoury side, most recipes ask for more.

i served the soup hot with creme fresh and flaked almonds. I wouldn't add almonds again they ruin the texture. It can be served hot or cold.
Sounds really nice, i'd like mine sweeter, but that is me, I'd also replace the pototo powder, with Arrowroot. less bitter taste to arrowroot than patoto starch.
a quick google seems to suggest the "dried petals of the edible Dog Rose" can be added. Maybe that is the dried dog your recipe calls for

xylaria

Hi!
In Sweden rosehip soup, together with bilberry soup, is the common hot energydrink for winter (or year round) activities.
Not many people cook their own as it is sold as a powdermix in any foodstore but none of those who do use dog! :lmao:
You must post the original recipy in swedish so we can se what it is supposed to be!
It is normally sweet and can be eaten as breakfast (with or without cerial), as a snack or as desert. Try it hot with a scoop of icecream.
But basically, in a thermos on a cold day, it is a lifesaver.

Thank you for your answer.
Bilberry soup sounds delicious. Bilberries are my favoraite summer fruit. My useal way of preserving them is put them in rum with other fruits (rumtopf). It tastes like summer in depths of winter, an non alcoholic soup sounds lovely.

I can't imagine the powdermix having the same vitamin kick the real stuff has, but then removing the seed hairs from stewed rosehip is not a very fun job.

http://kryddburken.wordpress.com/2007/11/07/hemkokt-nyponsoppa/

Det här behöver du : What you need:
1½ l vatten ~1 ½ liters of water
5 dl torkade hela nypon ~ 5 dl dried whole dog -
1 vaniljstång ~ 1 vanilla stick
1½ dl socker ~ 1 ½ dl sugar

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
Here´s one online source for both rosehip and bilberry. I´m sure ther are other, possibly better ones.
http://www.swedishgourmet.se/english/default.asp
Check "canned food/soups and sauces".

I can´t even find a babelfish that will translate swedish but Tadpole is correct.
Do NOT dry your dog to make soup unless you are chinese and use a whole different recipy.

forestwalker

Det här behöver du : What you need:
1½ l vatten ~1 ½ liters of water
5 dl torkade hela nypon ~ 5 dl dried whole dog -
1 vaniljstång ~ 1 vanilla stick
1½ dl socker ~ 1 ½ dl sugar

I suspect that the translator logic went roe hips - dog rose -- dog.

These days there are unsweeted verions in the stores, much nicer for those of us who don't like the sugar kick (the standard store bought versions lists sugar and starch before the rose hips on the ingredients list.

There is incidentally a couple of rose hip recipies in at least one English cookbook; the "Forme of Cury", originating with the cookes of Richard II.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE