East meets West - slingshot sootoff! with pics and a dog! :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
well, I still haven't seen any of this nice weather we have been promised in the UK yet,
but not being deterred by the lack of sunshine, I still elected to head out into a local
bit of woodland with the dog for the afternoon.

I'd very luckily won myself a DanKung Cougar from Joerg Sprave himself in a forum comp,
so while waiting for it to arrive, I had a bit of a rummage around and dug out my old Fish hunter
a slingshots, as luck would have it I had *just* enough elastic left to knock up a single bandset for
it....so, grabbing a handfull of 9.5mm BBs and the dog it was time to head off to the woods :)

I keep a small Chinese style slingshot in my belt pouch, a Palm Thunder, I just normally use it to
nail the rats that prey on the birds at the Quarry Park along the shore line, so I know it's 'capable'

so with getting out into the woods a fair bit I decided to see how each fared shooting alongside each other...

2011-09-27152621.jpg

to the bend in the path to the post (my target) pictured is a good 53 paces, I had to offset my
aim high with the DanKung, but the Fish Hunter, even on single bands was hitting dead on
nearly every shot! not the result I was expecting- the single bands on the hunter have a MUCH
lighter draw than the tubular bands, so I'd written them off as not being as powerful initially

2011-09-27152713.jpg

you can see the flatbands are a good 20% longer, something that I'd done intentionally, I'd reasoned that
the doubled tubular bands were more powerful, so to give the Fish Hunter a fighting chance I'd left them
a bit longer

2011-09-27155244.jpg

wandering on a bit further, the dog decides to stop and have a sniff...

2011-09-27153418.jpg

... no, I couldn't see her in that lot either lol!

2011-09-27160902.jpg

getting around to one of the smaller lakes in the woodland I was able to open up and try a bit of
distance shooting- ol' faithfull Thunder did well, but to be able to hit trees (picked targets, not just
random shots...) on the far side of the lake you needed to apply a fair bit o' vertical Kentucky
Windage, not so much so with the flatbanded up Fish 'pult

so when it arrives, I shall be flatbanding up my Cougar, as after today's little experiments, next time
I go out Ratting it will be a whole new game :)

2011-09-27161054.jpg

the dog wasn't amused that there were no Ducks for her to chase....poor Llian, maybe next time
you'll get to go swimming after all girl!

2011-09-27161146.jpg

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Oh no flatbands the dark side!
Ps you better start working out Bro, the cougar weighs a ton .
But what a lovely slingshot to shoot..congratulations......... Joerg Rocks.

Welshwizard

Forager
Aug 11, 2011
Abergavenny Wales
I,ve got a few catapaults one of which ,an old Milbro i,ve had for over 30 years , I also have a few others but the bands have perished ,just ordered some new square pattern rubber but might give that flat band a try ,Is It available on line ?
I,ve also got a selection of steel shot from 6mm upto the 9.5mm you are using but hav,nt done a lot of testing with them ,I have found that the 6mm are a bit too light and 9.5mm were bit too heavy , lead would I think be a better ammo but other than casting my own I hav,nt been able to buy 8mm or perhaps .38 cal .
Have you used lead shot ,If so how did you find it ?

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
I,ve got a few catapaults one of which ,an old Milbro i,ve had for over 30 years , I also have a few others but the bands have perished ,just ordered some new square pattern rubber but might give that flat band a try ,Is It available on line ?
I,ve also got a selection of steel shot from 6mm upto the 9.5mm you are using but hav,nt done a lot of testing with them ,I have found that the 6mm are a bit too light and 9.5mm were bit too heavy , lead would I think be a better ammo but other than casting my own I hav,nt been able to buy 8mm or perhaps .38 cal .
Have you used lead shot ,If so how did you find it ?

you can pick up flatbands on ebay easily enough, try looking for 'teraband gold'

square rubber isnt the best stuff in my opinion, it's a very heavy draw for a relativity small power output, but it does last a long time.

flatbands seem to be the slingshooter's choice these days. get yourself some flatbands, then you'll be calling 9.5mm steels too light lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE