Now I have seen everything!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
Well, I have seen it all. Tornados in South Louisiana in January. My neighborhood was hit by an F1 tornado yesterday. My son called me at work saying rather frantically that a tornado touched down in my backyard. I was 20 miles away at work. I drove home as fast as I could to find my subdivision looking like a bomb went off. Thankfully my home was not damaged. The tornado cut one of my pine trees in two and threw the top of the tree into two other pine trees where it stayed. Had to use my wifes vehicle to pull it down. Debris everywhere and my workshop lost half its shingles but no leaks yet. :( Others in my neighborhood were not so fortunate. They lost everything. Just three homes down and the roofs where torn off, not a rafter left. Unbelievable. What really gets me is that there are still meteorologists that say that it is not due to global warming. :banghead: If someone would be kind enough to explain to me how to post pictures, I could show you what it looked like this morning when we walked around the neighborhood.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Wow Madrussian
I'm glad that you are OK, hope it doesn't take too long to repair the damage.
You'll have to get your photos "hosted" by someone like photobucket or imagestation, (they're free to register), you "upload" the image from your PC to the site, then there'll be a choice of linking tools on the hosting site - just select the most appropriate and paste it into your post.

ATB

Ogri the trog

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
Thanks. I'll try to do that later today. I still have alot of work to do. I failed to mention that there were fatalities. Two confirmed dead and several injured across town from me. We're used to hurricanes. At least there is advanced warning. This is crazy.

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
Here we go. The first two are my backyard'

49iat76.jpg

2wf5nhj.jpg

The rest are my neighbors.

2s6psgx.jpg

2lc89l5.jpg

2m7yq34.jpg

Glad that you and your family are ok and I'm sorry to see so much damage to your neighbour’s houses.

I've been involved with property construction and development for over 20 years and when I see the amount of damage you guys in the States suffer from the elements it makes me wonder why the fabric of the buildings always seem to be so susceptible to damage. Are building methods in the US not sufficient to withstand what are becoming regular phenomenon in the weather?

Best of luck with the clearance of the debris!

Phil.

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
Thanks for the concern. We were very fortunate. Most houses in the Us are built using pine lumber. When you look at older homes built in the 30's and 40's or so, they were built using hardwoods. In this area cypress was used and these older houses can take a beating. My house was built out of concrete. It was built to withstand hurricanes and so far it has. One thing I have noticed is that the houses with fewer trees around them always sustain the most damage. Everyone worries that the trees will fall on their house. Sometimes they do. But without the trees, there usually is more wind damage.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Glad you and your family are OK and hope you get things back to 'normal' quickly.
It is scary when things happen in your neighborhood.

I watched a UK 'Tornado Special' on TV last week where they were looking at the F2 tornados which hit London and Birmingham.

Apparently the UK gets on average 35-40 tornadoes every year but most are in rural areas where they don't make the news.
Because of the UKs compact size we get more tornadoes per mile than anywhere else in the world!

Who would have thought we would need 'The TORnado and storm Research Organisation' (www.torro.org.uk) over here. :eek:

I've moved my bushcraft gear down out of the loft.

Stu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE