Nothing to do with me but... DAMN it's pretty!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
The grip on that knife looks like it would have a really tactile feel.
I do like the axe too - looks like it was made for splitting skulls 1000 years ago

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I had a SOG Tigershark modified by Magnus too...

DSCF1715-b.jpg

DSCF1711-b.jpg

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I admire the workmanship involved in producing something like that but, to my mind at least, it isn't 'pretty'. I am a great believer in beauty of form following function and I don't thing that it ticks that box. I have similar thoughts about knives with knobbly handles or wildly extravagant pommels and finger guards: what is the point? Ceremonially, they may have a significance but practically - and, lest we forget, we are talking about a tool here - they just don't do it for me. Clean design yields a good, usable tool; it may never be 'pretty' per se but it might be 'handsome'.

Please bear in mind that this is a personal point of view, not written to shoot down anyone in flames - just the expression of my own opinion.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That SOG was surprisingly useable and ergonomic. Looking at it, you certainly wouldn't have thought that. But it was a well thought out and designed handle. I have no idea what inspires Magnus, but to me his designs are very LOTR elven.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I admire the workmanship involved in producing something like that but, to my mind at least, it isn't 'pretty'. I am a great believer in beauty of form following function and I don't thing that it ticks that box. I have similar thoughts about knives with knobbly handles or wildly extravagant pommels and finger guards: what is the point? Ceremonially, they may have a significance but practically - and, lest we forget, we are talking about a tool here - they just don't do it for me. Clean design yields a good, usable tool; it may never be 'pretty' per se but it might be 'handsome'.

Please bear in mind that this is a personal point of view, not written to shoot down anyone in flames - just the expression of my own opinion.

I do agree with you about the function of something effectively causing the design.

But..

I never saw this axe as something used for woodcraft personally, I see the design as one to be used in a different way to our limited uses for an axe. I think the job for this axe is to impress others, to give them the impression that the owner has wealth enough to lavish money on more than the necessary things in life. This might seem silly but I think it perfectly executes that design brief and in that context, the design does follow the function. I'm probably wrong though, it's probably for billionaires to make feathersticks with after all.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I do agree with you about the function of something effectively causing the design.

But..

I never saw this axe as something used for woodcraft personally, I see the design as one to be used in a different way to our limited uses for an axe. I think the job for this axe is to impress others, to give them the impression that the owner has wealth enough to lavish money on more than the necessary things in life. This might seem silly but I think it perfectly executes that design brief and in that context, the design does follow the function. I'm probably wrong though, it's probably for billionaires to make feathersticks with after all.

I suspect Magnus was aiming for both - a work of art, and a functional tool. Either way it's not to my taste - but neither is a Fabergé egg - and they're priceless.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire

But..

A good and valid argument. Initially, I thought it was an executive ulu or something like that; when it was pointed out that it was an axe, I thought "How the hell could that be used usefully, except in combat?". It is obviously designed to specific criteria and taste but, in the context of a bushcraft website, I'm not sure of its function. I think you're right though: millionaire's feather sticks!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE