Not very buahcrafty but some English pride I guess. (Some pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikey.elefant

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
israel
Mods please move/delete if in wrong place.

Found old Dawes galaxy bike in trash a few weeks back.

ugymaqe7.jpg

After some love and lots of work.

abymyvy6.jpg

It is now a single speed commuter, changed axle's and lots of bearings but it rides beautifully.

Tried to keep as many as original parts as I could since they are from the 70's and thing were made then to last.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Lovely work, this is one of my passions, i have a penchant for the Rayleigh Grifter as my main restoration targets, i have 4 i keep as my prize collection but have restored and sold many over the years which although lovely once i was done with them did not manage to claim one of the 4 space i have for Grifters, i only use original NOS parts (new old stock) or parts from Grifters in the grave

My Grifters and a few others

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Thats a beauty of a mark 2 you got there, looks like an 81 model, mine all have dates of birth, 2 of them rolled out of the nottingham factory 123 bikes apart

this is the younger of the two, now fully restored and waiting a nice sunny day to take some new pics

attachment.php

this is the pride of my fleet just after i finished the restoration last summer, i say restoration but all it needed was a good service and a bit of love, all original parts even the gearing cables, soon to be priceless as there are not many left in this condition

attachment.php

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I think that's a great restoration, mikey.elefant, it's good to see stuff brought back to life and you've got yourself a very nice looking bike there!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Yeah, mine was a MK2. My mate had the MK1 and I was always jealous because it had metallic red paint and the short scrambler like rear mud guard.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
The silver mk2 in my albums is an exact replica of the one i had as a kid what started the whole obsession, the mark1 was good but Rayleigh changed it for good reason and the mk2 design stayed almost identical even the super grifters above are mk2 with flashier trims.

Mikey have you done anything to restore the original look of the paint and decals? Best thing i've found to use is some wd40 or similar stuff on a rag, first application removes ground in dirty and once your cloths are not coming away grimey the next application protects the finish against future corrosion setting in, makes the paint finish look as good as it can without a respray

mikey.elefant

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
israel
I don't have any experience with restoring bikes so thanks for that advice and please keep em coming.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
glad to share good info always, if you have anything bugging you ask away if i can help i will, looks like you've done nicely for never having done it before, very addictive and rewarding hobby.

One thing i can see is you have some nice bits of chrome on that machine like the stem and lugs, Brasso or another silver cleaner will have that looking like it just rolled out the factory, takes a bit of elbow grease for best results but worth it, again it is a case of multiple uses and the first few just remove years of natural tarnishing, each use you think that can't get any shinier and then try again and before long it is a mirror finish

18-165004-1000x1000.jpg

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
When i ride my old bikes i remove the original seats and posts and put a modern post and seat on for preservation sakes, sadly a good condition seat for my grifters is easy £100 if you are lucky enough to find one being sold and you happen to be the only person who wants to buy it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE