Not so lovely "Look What We Found"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bronskimac

Forager
Aug 22, 2011
Dundee
I've noticed that quite a few here use "Look What We Found" packets for boil in the bag. I tried the Tees Valley Beef Bolognese one a while ago and it was on a par with the tinned stews/bolognaise from my first student days circa 1980's, I took two spoonfuls and slung the rest. Are the others similar, especially are they tainted by the "tin can" tang? I guess the tang I am talking about the taste that seams to go hand in hand with cooked in the packet/tin products.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... I guess the tang I am talking about the taste that seams to go hand in hand with cooked in the packet/tin products.

I think you might mean monosodium glutamate. There's a place on our industrial estate that puts it in food products. I avoid it like the plague.

When I camp, the canned stuff I take is generally only vegetables. My carbohydrate of choice is cous-cous because it needs no cooking. The meat I eat is mostly things like bacon, sausages and corned beef. Lots of corned beef. On a short trip you don't have to take the cans. :)

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've had a few and I thought they were okay, not enough calories or bulk to them though so I added some bulgar wheat. I thought the chilli was okay and so was the lamb rissotto, I can't remember the other flavours though.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
I tend to stick a boil in the bag rice in the billy can along with the chilli or when I've had the stew I boil it in 500mls of water then stick in a sachet of instant mash and pour the stew over it. This bulks up the meals and actually fills you up. I also used pasta with the bolegnese.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I've only tried the chicken and[some herb] soup, I must admit I was not impressed, powdered cupa-soup has more falvour...

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
I'm sorry to hear that Bronskimac, I've used a few of these over the last couple of years and never had any trouble. That said I tend not to cook in the packets.

I think you might mean monosodium glutamate. There's a place on our industrial estate that puts it in food products. I avoid it like the plague.

To the best of my knowledge LWWF don't use MSG... Confirmed, they're actually quite open with their ingredients on their website.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
The only one I didn't really like was the meatballs one; other than that they benefit (as already said) from bulking up. I've put a bag of quickcook rice in the water that's cooking the LWWF, and I empty the rice in when it's all heated through.

Terr

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2010
Scotland
I saw the calorie count on the packet and decided it wasn't worth my time. Now I know to stay clear. Sorry you had a bad experience :(

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
They are OK for what they are, but I'd not eat them at home. Next time your in an Iceland store take a look at the chilled boil in bag meals, @400gm and £2 each. The bag says keep refrigerated but as its vacuum sealed I would think they would keep fine for a few days on a trip. The quality is fine for camping. Usual type of range, lamb or chicken curry, beef stew, steak in gravy, liver and onions, spag and meatballs etc. Add a packet of 5 minute rice and you have a filling meal for £2.50.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE