Not long till bushmoot - Will the midges be about?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sideburnt

Apr 7, 2011
Leeds
This being my first bushmoot, I'm obviosuly working hard way too far in advance to plan what I'll be taking with me (with great excitement).

I'm trying to keep weight down, and since I don't know south Wales very well I don't really know what the mosquito/midge's are like in August.

Otherwise I'll leave the midge net at home, and put the bottles of spray back if all is pretty run of the mill.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Generally speaking, there are no more - nor any less - than anywhere else!
The ground (being sandy) drains very quickly so there aren't many puddles for them to breed - but the site is bounded with a river.

I don't recall midges being a problem in past years, but there are wood piles which can harbour wasps - again generally not an issue but some notable individuals have had (ahem) interesting interactions with them in the past.

So, while my reply doesn't help much, it would be good to have options!

ATB

Ogri the trog

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
No particular problem in my experience, just the run of the mill few bites I normally get after a one or two days spent in woodland.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I took my midge net last year, and it just basically stopped all the moths getting in my hammock while I had my lantern on under the tarp. Midges were not a problem though.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It seems the midges have all drowned - this year it is the cuttlefish that will be trying to get into your bivvi!

Just joking! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE