Not chuffed :-(

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hi folks,
Just back from the Brownlee meet up, excellent, had a throughly good time, but....I was cutting some fabric re-inforced plastic tree ties that had been left on too long and were literally strangling oak, beech and hazel saplings......and look what has happened to my Helle Polar :eek:

IMG_7926.jpg

IMG_7924.jpg

It's less than a year old and I reckon it's going back. :( :(
Not pleased; I liked this knife too.

Toddy

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Hmmm...now that sucks. :( I've got a Helle polar that I've used for years. In fact, it's one of my very favorite knives and it's almost always on my hip around the house. I hope Helle makes good on that. I once talked to them and they seem to be pretty stand up about warranty.

Being "chuffed" is a good thing, eh? :confused: :)

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Oh my. What are the odds of that? Kinda puts a different light on the laminated blades, don't it? What do you think happened to it? A fine piece of high tinsel wire reinforcement might do that, but I wouldn't think that plastic would.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hoodoo said:
Hmmm...now that sucks. :( I've got a Helle polar that I've used for years. In fact, it's one of my very favorite knives and it's almost always on my hip around the house. I hope Helle makes good on that. I once talked to them and they seem to be pretty stand up about warranty.

Being "chuffed" is a good thing, eh? :confused: :)

It was totally unexpected. I really liked the knife, it was just a really nice tool. I'm not guilty of abusing my tools either, maybe ought to sharpen them a bit more often sometimes, but that's it.
It's only about 7 months old so it's going back to the supplier and we'll see what they say.

Uhuh, chuffed is a good thing; pleased, happy, contented, slightly smug.....like a happy bird sitting on a well built nest in the best tree in the neighbourhood sort of feeling......it doesn't translate well :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Blimey that's not good, hope you can get a replacement.

How can that happen, it was after all only plastic?
confused.gif

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Now thats interesting, annoying but interesting.
I'd like to hear how this turns out, please let us know Toddy.

rb

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
rapidboy said:
Now thats interesting, annoying but interesting.
I'd like to hear how this turns out, please let us know Toddy.

rb

D'you know, I thought that too. I knew it was a laminated knife but apart from worrying about making sure I sharpened it properly I never gave the lamination a thought. There's a fine line visible in the photo though along the spine of the blade which seems to indicate that the laminate isn't as sound as it ought to be.
I'll phone the supplier tomorrow and see what they say about returning it since it's still under guarantee.
I'll let folks know what happens.
I *really* liked that knife, too :(

Cheers,
Toddy

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Heck i have never seen that before, be interesting to hear what Helle think.. the liminate line looks a lot more define on the damages side.

leon-1

Toddy that's one awfull peice of luck, I hope they sort it out for you.

I find it a little worrying as I own a Helle myself and they have always had a good reputation as far as I know otherwise I wouldn't of bought the blade.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
I like my Helle-bladed knives even more than those with classic highcarbon puukoblades, the Nr 55 and 56 being my favourite blades for allround knives
In a german knifemagazine I read an article about Helle last year. There they claimed of having less than 1% of reclamation with their products and seemed to be very proud also of their knives.
Why dont you send them a mail with the picture attatched and ask them for their opinion? Iam sure they will want to investigate this damage and learn from it, as any good craftsman will.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Thats a real sod, Toddy, especially when that sort of thing happens to an item that you have come to really enjoy using. I'm sure that Helle will sort the issue without any problem. Their reputation was made by having good kit that they stood by.
The trouble I have had with situations like this is that when the replacement or the repaired item arrives, I invariably find that I no longer fully trust the thing to not let me down again. Once bitten, twice shy as they say.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Toddy said:
Just back from the Brownlee meet up, excellent, had a throughly good time, but....I was cutting some fabric re-inforced plastic tree ties that had been left on too long and were literally strangling oak, beech and hazel saplings......and look what has happened to my Helle Polar :eek:

IMG_7926.jpg

IMG_7924.jpg

Toddy

Am I missing something? Was there a photo?

PG

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
how ironic! i think the rest of us can see the photo in your quote of toddy's post. it might be something to do with your browser settings...dunno what, but i guess all can say is, if you're not using firefox then start doing so!

the pictures show toddy's helle knife delaminated at the tip, on one side of the central lamina. i think toddy said it didn't look so well welded together on the side that failed.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
pierre girard said:
Am I missing something? Was there a photo?

PG

yes PG there was, it appears in the quote in your post.. if it doesnt appear for you try clearing your cookies and your browser cahce.. if that doesnt work then check your browser settings.

Treb

May 26, 2005
The Hague, the Netherlands
Toddy said:

Sorry to hear about your Polar. I too wouldn't be pleased if it happened to my Helle. I'd skip the supplier route, instead contact Helle directly and add a close(r) up picture of the damage. I'd like to know what the reply will be.

Keep us informed please.

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
damned shame toddy, i second the suggestion of contacting helle direct after all they may not be aware of the problem,and i hope the replacement gives you years of untroubled service ( maybe i should apply for a job in their customer service dept :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: )
tom

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
If you need a witness...... :)
"not chuffed" indeed, for all of about 3 minutes :rolleyes:
....then "Oh! There's a......" :)
And life goes on.... :cool:

They're bound to replace it, It was heavy webbing, it just caught on a forward stroke.
'Tis a shame though, could see you were fond of it. :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE