Not Being Ignorant...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I'm worried about the ticks, they've now contracted a severe case of 'Ivan'.

Get well soon mate, cider fest ain't long off!

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Hi Ivan,

Get well soon and hope you feel like getting back out there in the near future. Your symtoms have made me book a doctors visit myself as since a bushcraft course last year (oops) and finding a tick I have had the exact same symtoms aching currently restricted to finger joints and hips (I thought it might be gout LOL) but exact same other feelings of lethargy and fluey headaches etc. I hope that due to the time lapsed I'm not in the unpleasant stuff here!

All the very best.

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
That's terrible news! I'm so sorry.

I refer of course to the demise of Katy's cat! :)

Sorry to hear about the Lyme's too but you wouldn't expect much sympathy from me. I'm just glad you're blaming it on the ticks rather than the food I cooked that week.

Of course I'm also suspicious about that too. Doctor prescribed me antibiotics once and I had to drink orange juice in the pub. Told me mates I had an ear infection - anything but the truth. :rolleyes:

Get well soon ya grey haired old sod.

Last edited:

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Thanks woodpoet, I'm relatively fine compared to the sound of Ivan, though.

I'm worried about the ticks, they've now contracted a severe case of 'Ivan'.

:lol:

Thanks for the update Ivan. I only received one bite (& subsequent bullseye) to the top of my thigh and maybe 48 hours of feeling crappy (almost feinting twice, very sleepy & lathargic) approx 11 days after bite, 16 days after bite was when I incorrectly removed the tic remains, but once I went to the docs (day 17) and was prescribed only 14 days of Doxycycline (100mg tabs but no bloods taken) I started to feel much better. Maybe a bit of placebo involved there. But reading about the suffering you're going thru maybe I haven't got it and the doctors flippant attitude (!) was just.

I've worked in gardens (with deer populations) and lived out in the sticks (large sheep, deer and badger populations) most of my life and have only ever had one tic before, last year in fact - no adverse reactions to that.
The bullseye has only just dissapeared today (4 days after starting the tabs) but it's still itchy...

Hearing your suffering makes me think I'm very lucky but will 100% be doing tic checks with my son and others I go campingexploring with...oh yea, and myself!

Again, best of wishes for your speedy recovery and your return to form :)

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi ivan sorry to here about the lymes disease mate, well if you will sleep on the floor lol make sure you take all the tablets see you soon mate regards dave

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Lyme Update, well 10 days in tablets are doing a good job , didn't upset my guts or any other side effects , hips and knees have stopped aching so hopefully they are doing the job, apart from being weak as a kitten most of the other horrible symptoms have subsided , headaches stopped and feeling faint gone , but the sweatty old business and general feeling crap comes and goes , back to never shutting up and picking up speed in general , but can't walk too far without being knackered , but definately on the mend.

Didn't feel up to going out for fathers day , but managed a night out on the coast which was great .

Anyway folks it goes without saying be vigilant and take all the precautions you can to avoid the little sods coz they certainly pack a punch !

Ivan...

Thanks Biker for the message on the other thread.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
I only just noticed this thread, sorry to hear about your illness, Glad to hear you're recovering and I hope you get out and about again soon.

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
Lyme Update, well 10 days in tablets are doing a good job , didn't upset my guts or any other side effects , hips and knees have stopped aching so hopefully they are doing the job, apart from being weak as a kitten most of the other horrible symptoms have subsided , headaches stopped and feeling faint gone , but the sweatty old business and general feeling crap comes and goes , back to never shutting up and picking up speed in general , but can't walk too far without being knackered , but definately on the mend.

Didn't feel up to going out for fathers day , but managed a night out on the coast which was great .

Anyway folks it goes without saying be vigilant and take all the precautions you can to avoid the little sods coz they certainly pack a punch !

Ivan...

Thanks Biker for the message on the other thread.

Fantastic news. I also found the doxy had a quick response - it s still6weeks until i felt normal. Still a bit tick paranoid now though.

John

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
For xylaria , update , feeling a lot more normal now , just weak walking anymore than a couple of miles absolutely knackered , sweating profusely and makes me feel sick , strength seems to have gone , but as previously stated nearly all other symptoms subsided.

Looking forward to July 2nd for all the tests and definitave answersto long term prognosis.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
For xylaria , update , feeling a lot more normal now , just weak walking anymore than a couple of miles absolutely knackered , sweating profusely and makes me feel sick , strength seems to have gone , but as previously stated nearly all other symptoms subsided.

Looking forward to July 2nd for all the tests and definitave answersto long term prognosis.
sorry for the confusion, I never read other chatter, and i couldnt work out from your post on the other thread if had been diagnosed or not. Ray mears got treated for lymes and then by the sounds of it realised once the course was finshed he probably had had it for 14 years. He said he felt great once the month was up. Rest up a bit, i used to be a county standard long distance runner and I had to drop out of uni when I got influenza and post viral fatigue lasted for months. I reckon i pushed myself too early.

I got a tick last week my old man found, eerrr the rest of that story is really embarrasing.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Bummer to here Ivan, and yeah anti-biotics really are the worst for your energy and spirit level.
Stick in there man you'll be back soon enough
Yours sincerely Ruud

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Update, great news last Wednesday latest bloods , show that the antibiotics have done their job and have a negative result ! and for the first time in what seems like ages feel normal (well as normal as i can be ) am slowly getting back to , my usual self walking more distance , carrying weight without having to stop and sit down every five minutes , one last test in a month , oh and a well man test , as long as it doesn't mean a finger up the bum !

Once again thanks for the messages of support , really helped when i felt so low and awful .

Ivan...

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
Update, great news last Wednesday latest bloods , show that the antibiotics have done their job and have a negative result ! and for the first time in what seems like ages feel normal (well as normal as i can be ) am slowly getting back to , my usual self walking more distance , carrying weight without having to stop and sit down every five minutes , one last test in a month , oh and a well man test , as long as it doesn't mean a finger up the bum !

Once again thanks for the messages of support , really helped when i felt so low and awful .

Ivan...

Fantastic news!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE