Norweigan army sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Do any of you know anything about this sleeping bag? When I bought it it said that he was from the norweigan army. It is really heavy and large, probably made to fit a fully dressed soldier. But I want to know more about it, when was these sleeping bags made and are they made for winter or summer?

109635.jpg

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Got any labels on it?

Nice looking sleeping bag though.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Viking said:
There is only a small label with a shield on one side an some numbers on the other.
What are the numbers?

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
And you'll need it here for sure!

lifjell1.jpg

No not a Nato stock number - thats for sure.

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
Viking said:
We will soon see if it´s warm enough :wink:
Gary said:
Thats what I'm worried about - you might be be me??? :chill:
:eek:): :nana: don't worry. On the news this morning they said that the long term prognosis indicated that it would be a mild winter. I guess that's a 50/50 chance - those weather men can't be trusted for long term predictments. Guess that you can expect anything between 0 - minus 20 C, although I've had minus 29 on that mountain too, and then you really gonna do this :hyper:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
We dont call it viking we call that warm breeze F**ting!! :rolmao:

We shall see. :super:

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
Gary said:
We dont call it viking we call that warm breeze F**ting!! :rolmao: We shall see. :super:
Yeah, real viking gorp always give you lots of gas :shock:
Johan, I will email the pic of your bag to a few noggin army people that I know, to get their oppinion.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Here's a description of a Norwegian bag I found online. I don't know if it's the same as the one you have. The url is here.

It must get real cold in Norway for them to produce a military bag like this one! Mummy style made of Olive Drab water repellant cotton canvas with 5 lbs. of Dupont Dacron Hollofil® for cold weather comfort. Complete with anti-snag two-way center zipper, circle reinforced foot, sewn-in roll-up ties, draw string hood and full length oversized wind baffle. Measures 79”L from top to hood with 28” across the shoulders tapering to 18”, rolled size is 20”L x 10”D. Stuff sack with carry handle included. Weighs 6.50 lbs. New Unissued.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
This is an answer I gor on another forum

Looks like one of the "new model" sleeping bags issued from 1990's on.
The ones I used in my day had "Navy duffel coat" type buttons.
Used one of the new models with zipper during my last reserve call up some years ago though.
If I remember correctly the new model was an evolution on the 3 layer design concept of the old model (i.e. with an inner "washing layer", a mid quilted "heat layer", and an outher cover layer.
During my basic training year we used to change the inner layer of the sleeping bag for a new one from the depot once every month.
If I'm not wrong think the sleeping bag comes in 2 models.
A standard model, and a "jaeger" model with better insulation properties (comfortable in underwear mode down to -28 - -30 C) for jaeger and recon units. We hade some of the prototypes of the jaeger models on testing in my unit, when I did my basic year. They were made by Ajungilak based on their Tyin cold weather sleeping bag model (though with zipper opening, and were a great improvement over the old model maggots we used at the time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE