Planning Norwegian Ski Trip (with 6 year old)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Yes, potato seemed a key ingredient for the food served in a Swedish country town we ended up in. The kind of food to keep you warm and keep you going for some time. I guess in cold countries you eat food too keep going but also to keep warm. I learnt years ago in the English hills that food is a much about keeping warm in bad winter conditions. You need more too.

It's a big but traditional looking 4 star hotel right next to the ski jump in Geilo I think. Can't remember the name. Vestlia rings a bell. A ski in and out place. Great for families and child free couples apparently (just looked and I think that's the one, certainly one we were looking at).

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Very similar. The Swedes think they are much better. The Norwegians too of course.
Us Swedes used to call the Norwegians 'little poor brothers across the mountains'
Then the Norwegians found Oil and gas in immense amounts, the fish they catch and cultivate became sought after and profitable.
Most of the Swedish industry got sold or moved, so I am not so sure what they say these days.
The Norwegians do not say much, they just smile........

IMO the oil has made Norwegians more materialistic and less nice (the typical story). This doesn't mean that Norwegians are terrible but I think Swedes and Danes of today have a more modest core. This is mostly an internal issue, as a foreigner you will be treated with courtesy and respect so have no fear.

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Going to Geilo in the end flying from Scotland to Oslo then train to the resort. Amazing hotel in half board so lunches when out and about. Any good lunch spots? :)

Geilo is a popular winter sport spot so eating out is more expensive than elsewhere, ask some locals on the street about where to get value for money.

Do not go to Peppes Pizza.

+1 ... ugh!

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
It seems most bread is made using Graham flour.
Up north where I go it is difficult to find French style bread, or the heavy dark bread.

Maybe it is different in the south?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Vestlia looks like a nice hotel, but the dinner menu online seems to very small, and uninspiring, to be frank.
Well, plenty of other restaurant choices in Geilo!

The Norwegian hotdogs are almost as good as the Swedish ones. 99%.

The petrol station have a good selection. Go there to fine dine one evening!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
BTW Janne, you really shouldn't have tempted me with oyo and brusletto. They look a bit to the east of the geilo ski area with brusletto just a bit further down the line. One is an outlet /shop the other looks like a manufacturing facility. Brusletto is only open to group tours if pre-arranged. I can't see an outlet shop there. Just as well because I can justify not visiting if only one is open to visits but two open with shops? Hmmm!

The corrupting of me moment has passed. My interest in brusletto and oyo knives has passed. I think I can withhold a visit. It's a family skiing holiday not knives (temptation is always there).

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
It seems most bread is made using Graham flour.
Up north where I go it is difficult to find French style bread, or the heavy dark bread.

Maybe it is different in the south?

Differs, from decent to not so good. There used to be many smaller local bakeries but then mass produced lower quality took over.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
They used to stock wonderful rye ‘gifflar’ in the local supermarkets, but not since 2 years.
I guess not enough customers bought them.

When I check Geilo online, it reminds me of Åre.

Does not the member Arya live in the vicinity?

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Geilo is where I tried snowboard for the first time. Hard packed snow, plain clothes, gloves meant for the city but luckily generous mouthfuls of Jägermeister to ease the pain.

Reactions: Janne

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Never tried Jägermeister before. Is it a necessary drink to have before learning to snowboard or ski? Might have to find out when I get there.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Paul, if you enjoy a tipple in the evening, take a bottle with you. Alcohol is EXPENSIVE in Scandihooliganland!

In worst case buy it at the English airport.

Want a beer to your food? About 90 NOK for 0.6l.

Reactions: vestlenning

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
F###.

Up in Reine we pay 105 for a 0.6 of the excellent products from the local craft brewery Lofotpils As.

Superb stuff. Normal 'wifebeater' beer is around 95NOK.

'husbandbeater' beer is less.
Alcohol free.
:)

Reactions: vestlenning

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Yes, I heard there's a government involvement in alcohol sales but can't remember what it was. It makes alcohol very expensive. Part of a way to try and reduce alcohol intake levels in the population I heard.

Fortunately we're not big drinkers. In fact we're almost tee total. We have a couple of small glasses of wine at the weekend and a bottle lasts at least a couple of weeks. Not sure the wine lasts that well over that period of time. A bottle of beer gets shared between us too. So that's 225ml of beer each and we're happy with that.

How much does soft drinks cost? UK they're often more expensive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE