Norwegian Army 'Instruction in Winter Service - Bivouac'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Back in December Bob posted some links to some of the Norwegian Army Winter instruction docs, which are very good. However there was no link to the 'bivouac' manual. I had a quick search and found it here.

Last edited:

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
Very usefull stuff that Andy esspecial the latren. I like the drying rack. Is your new camp set up inspired from the manual? it would be good to see your set up on the forum,after your camp you are going on soon. It looks like you are in for some snow. HORRAY

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Yes loads of good stuff there isn't there, like you say latrine admin, how to collect snow for melting etc. etc. and good to see so much detail on the improvised shelters. Only just got that doc this evening but will be reading it closely.

I'd already been inspired by some swedish bivi techniques, they used a vinyl diamond-shaped tarp/poncho ('Regnskydd Vävplast') like the norwegians which can be used individually (an 'emsamma vargen' =lone wolf, shelter) or buttoned together in many ways to make squad shelters ('knäppetält' =snap tents) with up to 10 pieces. I picked up a couple and plan to use them for Grays 'cold weather bivi' at Ribblehead the weekend before we go to Sweden.

Last edited:

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
I'd already been inspired by some swedish bivi techniques, they used a vinyl diamond-shaped tarp/poncho ('Regnskydd Vävplast') like the norwegians which can be used individually (an 'emsamma vargen' =lone wolf, shelter) or buttoned together in many ways to make squad shelters ('knäppetält' =snap tents) with up to 10 pieces. I picked up a couple and plan to use them for Grays 'cold weather bivi' at Ribblehead the weekend before we go to Sweden.

Just had a fun 24 hour meet-up in the snow (mostly melted today sadly). Write-up and pics here:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99098&page=8&p=1245609#post1245609

Andy

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
Good camp Andy you adapted well to the changing weather and did not let the melting snow get in to your kit. Good job nice bivey and stove well played.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE