Norway - Bushcraft advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 3, 2012
kent
Can one of the experienced Norway travellers recommend a good place to go to for someone on their first visit to Norway, experienced bushcrafter / survivalist so happy to "rough" it, just looking for a recommendation of where to go and how easy to transfer to there from the main airports.
Many thanks
Craig

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Congratulations! You are moving to a very charming city in Norway :)
You might want to bring some waterproof clothes though. There are a lot of rainy days in the western part of Norway ;)

Info about hunting in Norway:
Just scroll down to the english part....
http://www.brreg.no/registrene/jeger/Norway_hunting.pdf

Norway is one big bush, and can be a giant playground for those of you not afraid to enter the state of a hermit.

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
To Craig;

Norwegian has Super Tuesday promotion on ATM til thursday, super cheap flights to Norway.

Anywhere is good but if i were jumping on a plane soon, I'd probably head to Bergen and get a bus or train out of town to the wilder parts. Its reasonably close to glaciers, spectacular Fjords and mountains and more lovely countryside than you can shake a featherstick at. I like to pick somewhere out on google earth and just go.

Check up on the fire restrictions at this time of year before you book it though ;)

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Can one of the experienced Norway travellers recommend a good place to go to for someone on their first visit to Norway, experienced bushcrafter / survivalist so happy to "rough" it, just looking for a recommendation of where to go and how easy to transfer to there from the main airports.
Many thanks
Craig

There ar a few nature reserves within 45 minues drive from Oslo Airport Gardermoen.
The reserve in this thread is approx 40 minutes from the airport: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110211
Unfortunately there are very limited public transport, but there are also nice spots closer to the train station.
The Nordmarka is also an alternative.
If you choose some of the places around the Lake Hurdalsjøen I might be able to give you a lift in and out from the nearest train station, depending on when and where.

Aug 3, 2012
kent
Brilliant, thanks so much. Looking at organising a 3 - 5 day trip for at least two people when my bushcraft teaching season ends, so end of October or beginning of November :)

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Difficult to predict. But if you are not going to the southern and south-western part of the country you have to expect snowfall in late october-early november. But if there will be enough to ski on is very uncertain. The weather is pretty unstable at that time of year.
Being out in those conditions can be challenging, but also very rewarding.
It is also in the middle of the moose hunting season, so bright coulored clothes is recommended in some areas:lmao:

Dec 13, 2012
Kristiansand
I moved over to Norway in September for much the same reasons as you are considering. I live in kristiansand a little further south than stavanger, but I have to say you will not regret it. I agree with the earlier comments regarding living in norway on a uk wage, but have to say that if you are earning a norwegian wage it the cost of living should be no issue at all, typically speaking food is expensive, but I would say not much more than buying all your shopping as marks and sparks not asda.
Cars are crazy expensive over here, double to triple the cost, but you can bring a uk car over for up to two years if you want. No Permit required the first year the second year you need a permit and it depends on your work contract, though I would strongly advise you bring your car with you.
The fishing over here is awesome, its impossible not to catch something.
Buying out door equipment is not that much of an issue, the out doors are taken seriously by the norwegians and there are several large shops like xxl gsport and the like selling outdoor kit, its normal to see high end stuff like norrona, fjell raven and the like in normal camping shops. Price wise the kit is slightly higher than the uk but the special offers usually make the prices comparable with the uk. Ive bought tons of kit since I got here all on offer and normally the skandiavian kit is much better quality than the uk market. Cant think of much else to say, dont worry about the language barrier, everyone speaks perfect english and you would pick norwegian up if you wanted.
Anyhow Ive traveled a very similar journey to what your considering so if there are any specific questions just send me a pm.
Just out of curiosity what line of work are you in?
Matthew.
On a separate note, I wish I had moved over here years ago its the best thing I have ever done.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
I live in kristiansand a little further south than stavanger, but I have to say you will not regret it.
On a separate note, I wish I had moved over here years ago its the best thing I have ever done.

Well hello there, neighbour! I live 40 minutes from Kr.sand. Nice to see that you enjoy Norway, not just as a part of a vacation but also as a home :)

Steffen

Forager
Jun 13, 2010
Norway
i'll be spending a weekend this month with my dad hiking, fishing and camping on saltfjellet.
looking forward to it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE