Northern Wilderness? Cedar Crafts

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Last night I watched Ray Mears Northern Wilderness on iplayer, and thought it would be a good opportunity to post some pictures of crafts from the pacific north west.

Fist one of my blog readers sent me this wonderful picture a few months ago. The cedar canoe in the foreground was carved this year, the raven mask and hats are made of cedar too.

9.jpg

Then I thought I would share a series of images of my mate Kieth making a cedar bark canoe bailer just like the one Ray made in the program..only better.:)

They are quick and easy to make, first peel the bark, then strip the outer bark from the end pieces.

IMG_6000.jpg

What Ray didn't show is you need to cut some longitudinal slits in the end to help you gather it together like this.

IMG_6004.jpg

Fit a handle.

IMG_6005.jpg

Take some strong cordage made from cedar or lime bast and bind the ends together.

IMG_6009.jpg

The last important thing which you will see in the picture of the finished bailer is to whittle some sharp wooden pins and spike them into the edge of the bark. This stops the edge of the vessel rolling inwards as it dries.

IMG_6010.jpg

Anyone who has been on on of my courses or seen me out and about will have seen this bailer used to carry my carving knives.

IMG_6012.jpg

Cedar bark is incredibly versatile, this is a quiver but it was used for all manner of things.

IMG_5994.jpg

Kieth was originally inspired by a wonderful book simply called "Cedar" Hilary Stewart highly recommended.

Last edited:

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
You're right about the bailer, it's looks better than Ray's! Great pics Robin! I grew up on the plains but my parents moved to the Island about 6 years ago. I've only been to visit once last year but it was amazing to see the difference in styles out there. The First nations of the West coast are far more driven in the visual aspects of their work with the striking colours and bold carvings. One thing I enjoyed about the RM episode was the explanation of the ease of hunting/gathering leaving them time to focus on crafts in the winter months. Thanks for sharing Robin!

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Just had an email from Simon who sent me the canoe picture. He edits the Haida news magazine and is going to send me some more info and pictures for my blog. I'll post some here too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE