Northern Lights NOW

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I was outside with the dog and it looked like there was a large red band from just off north. Then another alongside it but more towards the east. I thought that it was just lights from Kendal 15 minutes away but I have never seen it before.

Could it have been the northern lights? Nowhere near as strong as those, more like a red glow in a diffuse band that kind of became slightly more defined as it rose towards being over my head then ended. The other one next to it was very faint. All in a red that was only just noticeable above the street light poking through trees on the other road out of the village.

If it was the northern lights, then it was the first time I have noticed it before. A new first perhaps!!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I was outside with the dog and it looked like there was a large red band from just off north. Then another alongside it but more towards the east. I thought that it was just lights from Kendal 15 minutes away but I have never seen it before.

Could it have been the northern lights? Nowhere near as strong as those, more like a red glow in a diffuse band that kind of became slightly more defined as it rose towards being over my head then ended. The other one next to it was very faint. All in a red that was only just noticeable above the street light poking through trees on the other road out of the village.

If it was the northern lights, then it was the first time I have noticed it before. A new first perhaps!!
Almost certainly yes. My photo is using a fancy camera phone in "Night" mode which makes colour & brightness more vivid

Reactions: Paul_B

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
My view is like @Potatohead above but with a darker looking sky and less brightness / obviousness about the two bands.

I think my ancient Samsung A70 had night mode, I might take a look tonight just in case. Perhaps a trip up the hill that is my back garden might get better views.

Reactions: British Red

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
It looks like "Revontulet" might have been alight for the last 18 hours even here in the south of Finland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE