Northern Lights from Yorkshire Northwards

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Just seen on the local news that a solar storm has caused the northern lights to be visible from yorkshire upwards, Never seen them before so I'm off to try and see them!

Will try and get a pic, if I dont post by 11pm presume im lost on Ilkley Moor (JK, ill take a map :))

rancid badger

I've seen them here in Tyne & Wear twice.

Once when I was about 14/15 ( so about 35 years ago) and then again a couple of years later.

Both times they were a pinky red and lasted for hours.

Never seen them since.

I'll have to have a look.

cheers

Steve

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Just seen on the local news that a solar storm has caused the northern lights to be visible from yorkshire upwards, Never seen them before so I'm off to try and see them!

Will try and get a pic, if I dont post by 11pm presume im lost on Ilkley Moor (JK, ill take a map :))

Don't forget your tat or the ducks will eat thee up!

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Well I've got back from a very pleasant walk, unfortunately no northern lights!
Apparently they're there but I think Leeds just puts out too much light pollution :(
Still the stars were out and I got to try out my red filter for my Petzyl and generally have a brew :)

DSCF0869.jpg

Dont worry Bowlander I would never head up Ilkley moor bar' tat, courting Mary Jane or otherwise :p

DSCF0878.jpg

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Yeah its amazing huh!
I wish they could just turn Leedsford off for just one night!
If I'd had the petrol I'd of headed up to Brinham Rocks, I reckon you'd get a cracking view there if it kicks off again tonight.

Last night for those who aint seen;
article-0-116A348F000005DC-557_964x478.jpg

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Aye, can't believe I missed them last night, had no idea this was happening until the pm news today, I should watch more tv, lol

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
On a slightly differant topic, i was beach camping on Saturday,twas a beautiful clear night fantastic for star gazing, now ive seen many shooting star's when looking straight up in the past on nights like this but this night i saw my first asteriod or meteor,what ever it was it was at eye level,very much bigger than a shooting star,traveling what appeared to be slower,and had a large glowing tail behind it and was in my sight for about 5-7 seconds the disapeared towards the horizon,on a northerly direction.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Nice must have been a big one!
I love star gazing, I would really like to do some sort of astronomy class, its an area im pretty clueless about tbh...

JC1984

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2012
Craster, Northumberland
Some amazing pictures have been taken from up my neck of the woods - just a shame I'm in the same boat as CH as I work in Leeds during the week.

Looks like my Tromso trip to see the lights is on the rocks too :(

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
The Open university have some courses on Astronomy, have done all the basic ones and now working towards my degree in Astronomy and Planatery Science. radiation was smashed against the earth because of a huge solar flare. You'll only ever see it towards the poles because of the magnetism of the earth. Always fancied a trip to Norway to see it, but some of the highest parts of Scotland get it just as good too.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
We should be seeing them all year. They will probably get brighter as its the solar maxim this year and the sun will be kicking out flares all over the place. :)

JC1984

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2012
Craster, Northumberland
The Open university have some courses on Astronomy, have done all the basic ones and now working towards my degree in Astronomy and Planatery Science. radiation was smashed against the earth because of a huge solar flare. You'll only ever see it towards the poles because of the magnetism of the earth. Always fancied a trip to Norway to see it, but some of the highest parts of Scotland get it just as good too.

The actual Aurora Belt sits right on Tromso however, so it should be the best chance of seeing something. Here's an interesting illustration - Aurora Belt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE