North Star Needle Case

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Northstar_Needlecase-1.jpg

Northstar_Needlecase-2.jpg

On one of my first solo trips as a lad, I learned two important lessons when a shoulder strap became unfixed from my rucksack.

The first was “Do not buy cheap shoddy equipment” and the second was “Never underestimate the importance of a needle and thread.”

These days I always carry a few needles and a roll of dental floss in my equipment. I usually have an awl with me as well.

The dental floss is strong enough for most repairs, Can be split for fine work, is easy to remove for a proper repair later if needed and if the plastic case is removed, a very compact and neat way to carry a good quantity of thread.

I’ve been hankering for a while for one of these needle cases {Nallo Goahti} as used by the Saami people.

While not being of the standard that I have seen examples of, I did feel that this complemented the Northern European style of much of my equipment.

The idea is simple; a piece of bone, or in this case a section of hollowed out reindeer antler, slides over a small felt or woollen pad attached to a leather thong which hangs from the belt.

A toggle stops the pad from being pulled through and the needles then lie in the pad, safely contained in the case.

I decorated this one by carving into the antler and filling the groves with beeswax and crushed charcoal.

A more traditional method is to make a paste of alder bark and water or oil and that produces the result you can see on my Saami made knife sheath.

The kuksa was decorated with kolrosing.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That's a nice selection of kit you have now. I used to have a few Saami bits that I collected over the years and stupidly I sold them off.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Stunning, a heck of a lot nicer than my attempt at one, lol it was that bad, I threw it away! I might have another go, thank you for the inspiration :D

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Flippin heck Wayland! Your stuff is just too good mate. I'm wondering what's what with it though? Where's the lid and what's the dangly decorative bit for?

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
That is 'Wayland Style' nice with a capital NICE thrown in for good measure!
Really beautiful and above all that it is functional if not a little ingenious
I like the Idea (solution to the problem) as much as the product itself.
those Saami folk sure know how to use there materials.
nice workmanship too.
...Did I mention it was nice ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE