North Meet **** Logistics **** Read me!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hammy

Forager
Sep 28, 2004
Pegswood, Northumberland.
I'm with the rest here Wayland,
It is my first meet-up with you guys so lets see how it goes.
I've done a fair bit of camping in the lakes and there are not a lot of camp sites that allow camp fires, so theres the first plus.
Time of year not many people, second plus.
All the people showing so much interest, and coming, third plus,
it has to be a success.
Davey

(out of interest my avatar is a northland lean-to built by me and peter sept 2005 claith heights)

JoshG

Nomad
Sep 23, 2005
Stockton-on-tees, England.
hammy said:
I'm with the rest here Wayland,
It is my first meet-up with you guys so lets see how it goes.
I've done a fair bit of camping in the lakes and there are not a lot of camp sites that allow camp fires, so theres the first plus.
Time of year not many people, second plus.
All the people showing so much interest, and coming, third plus,
it has to be a success.
Davey

(out of interest my avatar is a northland lean-to built by me and peter sept 2005 claith heights)
Completely agreed, these little nags with the particular site are absolutely tiny ones. It will be a great weekend! :)
I'm also a complete first timer at these meets and me and my friends will most likely be the youngest "adults" there too! :)

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Just backing up what others have said. You've done a great job Wayland. :You_Rock_
Now just remember everyone that this is a bushcraftUK Northern meet - a camping weekend to get together and learn new skills. It is not a bushcraft weekend. If it was, I'd just be bringing myself and my rucsack. My transit van, generator, power tools and eight by four foot table don't constitute bushcraft, but they do help to facilitate learning and can be justified (if justification is needed) by helping to fit what would normally be a four or five day learning experience into two days. Shortcuts need to be taken sometimes to get the job done. So, forget living like bushcrafters. We're going to have a jolly good camping weekend on a nice camp site in the lakes and do some fun stuff while getting to know each other.

As far as archery is concerned, I'm bringing my bows and arrows anyway. Looking at the map, it seems we are not too far from open fellside. I'm sure there will be somewhere within a half hour stroll where we could safely let a few arrows fly. (I'm thinking of a small gully or similar with an earth backstop). We don't even need a proper target. A cabbage on a rope will do nicely.

If, at a later date, we want to do a proper bushcrafty meet (and I'm sure we will,) this weekend will be a great time to talk about what we'd like.

Eric

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Thanks guys, sorry I was just having some last minute jitters I suppose.... :eek:

Back to work......Does anyone have a good first aid kit they can bring? mine is a bit basic. For that matter do we have any first aiders? I know a bit but am un-certificated at the moment.

Next point, I have a big leaky ex-mil canvas tarp that I'm working on to give us some shelter round the fire pit. Before I go and spend money on poles and rope does anyone have a better option?

I can cut up an old pup tent to make patches for the holes, they should glue on reasonably well.

I can provide 8 heavy stakes for pegging it down but more might be useful if anyone has any.

I'm thinking this thing is about 20"x 16" when up, but it needs 2x 10" centre poles, 6x 6" side posts, 6x 8-10" guys and 2x 15" main guys.

Before I go to B&Q any offers would be appreciated.

Finally, I'm bringing a bucket and a fire blanket for central fire control, more buckets would be welcome and each tent / tarp / camp unit should give some thought to it's own fire protection.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I can bring a parachute that we can set up for a shelter.
Theres a couple of buckets in the shed and I have a small water type extinguisher that I can charge up.
I have a personal F.A. kit and a first response cert., not much use for the whole group but I think most will have their own basic stuff.
I will also bring along a batch of PMR radios to help communication between groups, if needed.

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
I'm still certificated and quite happy to act as a nominated first aider, if you want, I'll bring a first aid kit, I won't be there till Saturday though, so I suggest eveyone obeys the golden rule, "if you carry a knife, carry a first aid kit."

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
I too would like to say thankyou for the time, effort and money that some of you guys are shelling out for our enjoyment and comfort.
I have my own first aid kit with your basic plasters and bandages. It will be thrust upon the needy in such times and allthough i have no formal training since the army i can only offer a helpiing hand.

I'm sure folks realise but i think it is worth mentioning that at all times, even under demonstrations, People are responsible for their own safety.

I for one am looking forwad to this tremendously and whatever shelter i decide on. There will always be a beer available to anyone who stops by.

By my own personal way of thanks i am just about to pay up for full membership to BCUK. ( once i can find out how :eek: )

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Good on you Bilko, Tony deserves all the help we can give him for this site. :You_Rock_

Go to "user CP" at the top left and click the link on the left for "paid subscriptions"

I paid just before going to my first meet up, it was less than I would have paid just for camping fees for a weekend and I have gained so much from this site already.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Debbie, my +1 is also willing to be a first aider for the weekend.

Just a thought but do you think it would be wise to have a designated driver rota?

We're quite a distance from Whitehaven A&E which is I presume where any ambulance would come from.

It might be an idea to have one sober driver available each night. I don't mind voluteering for one night.

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
Now why dosent that surprise me in the least Eric?

Everyone has a 50 man first aid kit int he boot of thier Volvo
Don't they :p

Impressed as always
Garry

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
All packed up and ready to roll.
Working down south again this week, handy in that I have to get to Norfolk on friday but not so handy in that I have to cart about all the gear for next weekend.
The wee motor looks so empty without the target, but that's cool. Like others, I get more craft than bush from the meets and meeting everyone is what it's all about(and checking out all the kit :p )

...there was something on the table all weekend at Achray, it was only while driving home that I daydreamed about it being a big midgie-net-room-thing. Is that what it was? Does such a thing exist?

Got a 50 litre or so barrel full of flint and assorted rock loaded, half a dozen antler flakers and other gubbins, some tools, a dimantled knife looking for a new handle, a couple of bows just in case and a big wonky ash stave that can be either botched or burned. :)
Picking up cooking kit from Tommy, Sorted! See you all well after cufew on friday night. :D

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Wayland thanks for taking a lead in this - it wouldn't have got off the ground without you!. Anything needed in terms of ingredients for the pot - I've a couple of days off early this week and can head to the shops for a bulk buy?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Stu. Talk to Scruff about food etc. He's taking lead on that.

Eric. Thanks for the first aid kit and it seems like just about everything else.

Long range weather reports look a bit grim. I'm working on a fire shelter area but make sure you're all prepared to find out why it's called the Lake district. :umbrella:

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
hola amigos,

sorry about the late start on this thread...monday's are very busy!

first of all thanks again to you Wayland for your organisational skills (and the rest of you guys for being plucky enough to agree to braving the weather).

i cant get away on friday...well not early enough, so i'm aiming to arrive noonish on sat.

if its okay with u i'll feed u all on sunday (stew & homemade bread...no onions)

think led is kindly gonna cook up on sat.

looks like i may have to get an emergency tent this week just in case.....unless i can persuade my buddies to try out an RM-styleee two tarp A-frame.

sounds like we might just have enough shelter to actually keep a fire going to cook something too!

see you soon folks

ps. i'll be the scruffy looking one :D

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
For people worried about putting up bashas, I will bring a load of old tent poles, pegs and rope so you can rig a basha anywhere if there are no suitable trees.
But it may be an opportunity to try out an A frame for a hammock too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE