North America source for Zebra Billy Can?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
Hi all, I am wondering if anyone knows of a North American supplier of the Zebra billy can/pot like Ray Mears lists on his website?

Thanks.

Geoffrey.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Havn't found anywhere on a quick Google search, so fired off an email to Zebra's website asking if they have a North American distributor. No holding breath here!

I am surprised that you can't find something suitable over there. In a nation with so much wilderness I am dumb struck that there should be any problem in finding sturdy pots suitable for hanging over a fire.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I contacted the company listed above. Seem like nice people but way too costly to have two billies shipped to the states. Cost is $93.

A great alternative though is the Coleman Outfitter set. All stainless steel. For $50 you can get 3 billies and a whole lot more. I bought one of these several or more years ago and it's top quality. I bought another recently and the quality is still there but it looks like they used slightly thinner guage stainless. For go lighters, this might be a good thing. ;)

And for the unconvinced, lets not forget that this kit was mentioned listed in one of Ray Mear's books. :D

Coleman Outfitter Kit

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I tried to become an American source for Zebra Billy cans, the problem was the shipping. The cost of the pots was almost nothing but the shipping which had to be air freight was BIG! I also had to get a minimum quantity of each size. Zebra was very nice and very helpful and I felt bad about pulling out on the deal. I just couldn't afford the billies considering the air freight. I ended up getting a few for myself from Jonny Crockett and the Survival School in the UK. Very nice to deal with.
The Zebra Billies are exceptionally high quality as well. They are sort of heavy to carry though. Good luck, and if all else fails, try the Survival School. Cheers!

stone

Tenderfoot
The Calgary MEC is a great store to deal with! I have bought so much stuff off them over the past year, my wife's ready to smack me one ;) I'm not sure about the online purchases, but there is a small membership charge of $5 Canadian for walk-in traffic. It's a member run co-op and you get a whole share for that dollar...LOL

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Yeah, the MEC is a really great store. They're supposedly building one on Vancouver Island where I live, I heard a rumour that it will be open sometime this summer.

It's funny, my Father is one of the original members. He went to meet with their board of directors a few months ago in Vancouver because he had an issue with their catalogue. The odd thing this, his membership number was lower (older) than the board chair!

I suppose that's a sign of age? Or wisdom?

Cheers,

Adam

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Yes I think it is, Hoodoo. My Dad was at his peak in the early to mid '70's, and that's when he was doing expeditions in Afghanistan and Peru. I just asked him, he says when they'd plan an expedition, they'd all go down to Seattle for a day or two (quite a trip when you live on Vancouver Island) and spend a few grand at REI. I believe that REI might be where my Ventile anorak originally came from.

Now, MEC was originally a mail order catalogue, and it's first store didn't open until the latter days of the '70's. It was originally on Broadway Avenue in Vancouver. I believe I got lost in the store when I was quite young, freaking my parents out to all hell and back. (They're huge stores) But, sometime in the last ten years or so, MEC's Vancouver store moved to another location.

And sometime soon, they'll have one in Victoria, our provincial capital!

Cheers,

Adam

Ravenn

Jan 13, 2005
Central, Ky,USA
I use the Peak outfitter model also, purchased several years ago to replace one of the old Mirro Aluminum sets with multiple cup/plates,and such,since it's just me and Ms Ravenn or eldest son heading out now a days. I'm seriously considering removing the flat strap type handle on the middle size pot and replace it with a SS welding rod of about 1/8" diameter.,

Here is an alternate source in the U.S for indivudial Billy Pots of quality. "Open Country" bought out the former "Mirro" ALuminum company.Check out thw ones with the rounded bottom edges

http://www.opencountrycampware.com/products/index.phtml?catid=400

Regards Ravenn

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Ravenn, before you replace those handles, you might try using them with a carabiner or a large key ring to hang from a stick. I like those locking handles because it makes it easy to pour from.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Now you guys are making me feel old. My REI membership number is below 250,000. They look at me strange when I give them the number at the store. I guess everyone that normally comes along is in the millions now. :)
Maybe they are surprised that I am still a hiker and have stayed at it for so long.
Never have been to the MEC store, they have some great products though and I use the SS billies I got from MEC on most overnight trips. The Zebras are great pots but are heavy and I like to keep the rucksack weight down. Afterall, I am old.

Ravenn

Jan 13, 2005
Central, Ky,USA
Hoodoo said:
Ravenn, before you replace those handles, you might try using them with a carabiner or a large key ring to hang from a stick. I like those locking handles because it makes it easy to pour from.

Darn..Hoodoo.I knew there as a reason I hung out with you! :You_Rock_
Thanx
"R"

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Here's how I often hang mine. Easy on, easy off.

potholder1c.jpg

Mar 6, 2006
US
wizard said:
One other option is Mountain Equipment Co-op in BC, Canada. They have a set of stainless steel pots with bail handles like the Zebra Billies and way cheaper. I got a set for less than $40 shipped to me. Hope the link works to the item. It is called a MEC High Camp Cookset. Cheers!

http://www.mec.ca/index.html

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...older_id=2534374302696309&bmUID=1140483540020

Thanks for the links. Been looking for something just like that, just ordered from MEC and cost was around $50 since I needed the MEC membership.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE