North America source for Zebra Billy Can?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
jamesraykenney said:
Hey, is that the Micarta handled Becker BK-7?
How do you like it?

It's sweet! I wrote an article about in for Tactical Knives. I think it will be in the next issue. If you want one, you better grab it, as I don't think they will be making them any more. From what I can see, the price has dropped quite a bit. Still pricey though. I'm a fan of the regular BK-7 and if money is an issue, I would recommend sticking with that. I have most of the Beckers, though, and I've switched the handles to the new micarta ones. You can order them directly from Camillus. Well worth the bucks. Really improves the feel in the hand, at least for me.

retrohiker

Jul 2, 2005
Ohio, USA
I ordered a 12cm zebra billy from the ebay store mentioned above within the last couple of weeks (Sundog Outfitters...they're actually a small shop along the Appalachian Trail in Virginia). Service was quick with no trouble at all. I received shipment in about 3-4 days. I must say though, even for a small 12cm (1.3 ltrs) pot, it's pretty heavy (and pricey @ about $20 US). I may resort back to my 2 quart Open Country aluminum pot for longer treks. The zebra billies are a quality product though that will surely take any abuse you can dish out if you're a heavy handed bushcrafter :)

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
Hoodoo said:
It's sweet! I wrote an article about in for Tactical Knives. I think it will be in the next issue. If you want one, you better grab it, as I don't think they will be making them any more. From what I can see, the price has dropped quite a bit. Still pricey though. I'm a fan of the regular BK-7 and if money is an issue, I would recommend sticking with that. I have most of the Beckers, though, and I've switched the handles to the new micarta ones. You can order them directly from Camillus. Well worth the bucks. Really improves the feel in the hand, at least for me.

I have a KB-7 and you are right, it is a great knife(especially considering the price!!!)
Am I mistaken, or is the shape of that one a bit different from the BK-7... The pictures always made me think so, but you know how catalog pictures can be...
I will have to check to see if I have got that issue yet... I bought a bunch of mags a week ago and they got put in a backpack in my car and I keep forgetting to take them out and read them!!!

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
retrohiker said:
I ordered a 12cm zebra billy from the ebay store mentioned above within the last couple of weeks (Sundog Outfitters...they're actually a small shop along the Appalachian Trail in Virginia). Service was quick with no trouble at all. I received shipment in about 3-4 days. I must say though, even for a small 12cm (1.3 ltrs) pot, it's pretty heavy (and pricey @ about $20 US). I may resort back to my 2 quart Open Country aluminum pot for longer treks. The zebra billies are a quality product though that will surely take any abuse you can dish out if you're a heavy handed bushcrafter :)

They certainly are made to last a long time! I too was a bit surprised by the weight of the 12cm Zebra. I have decided that if I can count on a fire to cook on, I carry the Zebra and leave the stove at home. If I think I will be needing a stove, I carry a much lighter cook pot and leave the Zebra at home!
Another source of great billy pots is MEC, they have a nice SS cookset with bail handles that is high quality but lighterweight than the Zebra pots. I posted a link somwhere above. Cheers!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
jamesraykenney said:
I have a KB-7 and you are right, it is a great knife(especially considering the price!!!)
Am I mistaken, or is the shape of that one a bit different from the BK-7... The pictures always made me think so, but you know how catalog pictures can be...
I will have to check to see if I have got that issue yet... I bought a bunch of mags a week ago and they got put in a backpack in my car and I keep forgetting to take them out and read them!!!

I think they are pretty much identical. I did not check the thickness yet. The magazine is not out yet. I think it will be hitting the stands soon.

One of the things about the uncoated blade is that there is less friction when chopping.

retrohiker, thanks for that link! I got a couple on order.

wizard, I ordered that cookset from MEC awhile back. It was a good deal except they ding ya big time for shipping and you have to pay a membership fee if you are not already a member.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE