Norrona Recon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
I am off to the Arctic in March, i`m pretty much settled on the Norrona Recon jacket and trousers as my shell layer but i want a fur baffle for the hood. I`ve seen that they do sell them, but wanted to know if anyone knows if the Recon can use them.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
I've got a Recon and looking at the hood,which is permanatley attatched I cannot see how a fur baffle could be attached without a home modification i.e. you would need to sew or velcro one on to the hood yourself.
P.S. I like the jacket very much, good choice for a Gortex jacket but overpriced if you have to pay full whack :naughty:

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
so there are no sorts of attatchment on the hood?

Ray suggests the anojakke with fur trim (which Norrona sell), so i would assume this jacket comes with the fastenings for this. I would have assumed then that the Recon jacket had velcro or something to allow the ruff to be attached also...hmmmm

RJP

Jan 22, 2004
Kent
I am pretty sure that the furr ruff is designed to fit their arktis jackets and not the recon.
Are you sure you don't want a ventile/egyptian cotton shell layer? They are infinately more breathable so are less likely to freeze on the inside. :chill:

Where you going?

Rob.

Kvitulf

Jan 7, 2005
Northern Norway
Excellent choice of kit, although abit expensive. Can vote for their kit service!
Have a red :***: Norrona storm dress(pants+jacket) and its been going strong for 10 years now...Same as Lars Monsen used across Alaska during winthertime! (www.Larsmonsen.no)Lacks some technical details, but got it for 1/2 price(cuz of colour and the model was replaced)
E-mailed Norrona about some details that were worn out...Got them fixed for free + alotof sexy mesh material also for free!

A bit Jealous :You_Rock_ !!!!!1

Can I ask how much u payed?
http://www.extreme-planet.com/exp/seal/tech.asp

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Interesting, checked mine again just incase it was hidden but no attatchment points on mine :?: . I wonder if its a new feature, mine is about two years old and obtained in Norway.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Mylightweight said:
Being relitively new to all this, what use is the Fur thingy? :?:

Keeps your face a bit warmer. If you look at any really cold weather jacet it should have a fur trim to the hood.

Bill

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Fallow Way, did you get this jacket in the end, and did you get a baffle to fit it?

I finally picked up a Recon second hand a few days ago (pretty sure it's only seen wear on the terraces) and would like to get a baffle for it.

How was the trip BTW?

Paul K

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
In the woods
Hello,

I have both the Recon jacket and the cotton anojakke. The fur trim for the anojakke does fit the Recon jacket. If you check the hood of the jacket there should be a velcro strip in there somewhere just inside the rim of the hood. This is where the fur fits (the fur is mounted on a strip of velro). I bought my Recon jacket a couple of years ago.

It does make the jacket more comfortable in cold/windy conditions. I used the Recon pants and jacket (with fur trim) on Woodlore's Heroes of Telemark trip this year and both pieces of kit performed very well.

For the Arctic course (I've been twice), I used the cotton jacket and I'd still use that if I went again because it is softer, quieter, more pliable (particularly when it gets very cold), and has better pockets for kit. But the main reason is that I try to avoid getting any expensive GoreTex kit anywhere near open fires.......

That said, the Recon is a very good jacket - very tough if somewhat heavy. I'd almost always use a lighter weight jacket in the UK. The Recon trousers are the real jem though. I lived in these trousers for 2 weeks in Norway and they were always comfortable, never sweaty, and showed no sign of wear whatsoever. They are the best pair of goretex trousers I've ever used and well worth the money IMO.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Another question on the Recon coat - Inside the jacket (left side) there's a loop that's part elastic - it goes up inside the jacket and attaches with a popper.

What the hell is that for?

M

magicaltrevor

Ah ha! Another one with that question.

If you un attach it and then put it between your legs, there is a small loop on the bottom centre of the jackets back which the strap goes through.

It's for parachuting, it stops the jacket riding up over your head, not a bushcrafting function I'm afraid.

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
Mylightweight said:
Being relitively new to all this, what use is the Fur thingy? :?:

If you do not have one in ARCTIC conditions, the moisture in your breath tends to condense on the fabric of the hood where it promptly freezes... When you crunch the fabric to remove it, it can damage the fabric. With fur this is not a problem as fir is NOT damaged by bending with ice on it.
REAL fur is preferred, as some of the synthetics can get hard in extreme cold.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE