Norfolk and Norwich Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
Could really do with testing and finding out what best suits me, tent, tarp, hammock, bivvi bag, etc.

anyone have a good idea how I can try everything out?

Hi, my personal preference is a hammock with a bug net & tarp, I like getting off the ground away from the slugs and puddles and they allow you to see what's going on around me. I use an under & over quilt and they keep me nice and warm. And a gear slinger to keep all my equipment off the floor, if your at the next meeting your more than welcome to give it a try for size, but unfortunately I only have one set of quilts so I'm unable to lend you my sleep system sorry. what do you use at the moment ?

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Get to the next meet I'm sure most avenues will be covered, you can have a look for yourself maybe try out.

Sent from somewhere?

Hi, my personal preference is a hammock with a bug net & tarp, I like getting off the ground away from the slugs and puddles and they allow you to see what's going on around me. I use an under & over quilt and they keep me nice and warm. And a gear slinger to keep all my equipment off the floor, if your at the next meeting your more than welcome to give it a try for size, but unfortunately I only have one set of quilts so I'm unable to lend you my sleep system sorry. what do you use at the moment ?

Just a tent at the moment, mat and bag. Taking a blanket this weekend and a hot water bottle.
Its usually my throat and nose that gets sore from cold air.

Would love to try and can bring my own quilt setup.

As for campfire stories I have a few books but usually its banter and swapping experiences I thought lol

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
Just a tent at the moment, mat and bag. Taking a blanket this weekend and a hot water bottle.
Its usually my throat and nose that gets sore from cold air.

Would love to try and can bring my own quilt setup.

As for campfire stories I have a few books but usually its banter and swapping experiences I thought lol
Hi, my advice is use what you already have at Dave's next meet, but have a look at everyone's setup and go from there. I have a spare hammock & tarp you could use, but I think it would be better to first use \ test a different system in milder weather. I've found that setting up your hammock correctly hang \ sag and using the correct insulation can make such a difference its unbelievable. Carl ☺

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
I wouldn't try heating the tent with anything, unless you want carbon monoxide poisoning. Just use a decent sleeping bag and a roll mat. I wouldn't advise having a fuel lantern inside your tent either. If your going to have one in your tent, use a battery lantern or use a glow stick.

Last edited:
Ok thanks. I have several glow sticks already :)

I'm especially looking forward to the weekend now. Since I've had a terrible day at work.

Can anyone help? I need an affordable way to put a decent edge on my axe,
I was looking at these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Faithfull-F...8&qid=1416503830&sr=8-2&keywords=*******+file
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lansky-Shar...&qid=1416503848&sr=8-1&keywords=axe+sharpener

any experience with these?

since my old stone was a bit crap and I gave it to my dad after I restored his messed up axe to almost completely functional condition and knocked him up a quick 5 minute sheath. (below)

WP_20141103_006.jpg

WP_20141103_007.jpg

WP_20141103_005.jpg

Last edited:

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
Hi, i have a DC4 and found it a fantastic piece of equipment for sharpening my knife's and axes. with a little practice and the aid of a strop and time, most things can have a good cutting edge. I am more than happy with mine. As for heating a tent, a good quality sleeping bag and pad or a double bag and companion ☺

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Carl what have we told you about bringing your sister along!

use a good sleeping bag or two if needs be, but most importantly good insulation under neath, nothing worse than being cold through the ground.

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
Carl what have we told you about bringing your sister along!

use a good sleeping bag or two if needs be, but most importantly good insulation under neath, nothing worse than being cold through the ground.

Your just jealous Dave because she has more facial hair than you.

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
Look, I only bring her coz she's better at washing up than I am☺ and her feet are warmer than yours dave. anyway mum likes to have the bed to herself now and again. ☺ dave could you bring my slippers to the next meeting please I left them by your bed. Thanks mate PS it wasn't me that drank your last can of beer it was that other bloke.☺

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
Here's some snails I cooked a month back. Tasted better than the curried snails. Does your sister look like you Carl?

20140907_133758_zps4094a427.jpg
Snails look very nice, and id be tempted to try a couple next time ☺
Now sisters I have 5 but I can safely say no they don't ☺
Went to a local car boot Sunday and found a small old hand axe 50p. its cleaned up a treat the original cutting edge was as sharp as the back of a Mora 1/8" but it's ok now and I'm quite looking forward to using it. Any new toys yourself?.
Carl

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
Give them a try next time Carl. Ed and I ate the lot. It's a shame they don't look like you mate. It's what I look for in a woman. Stubble and a bald head. Lucky find at the car boot mate. Mora knife was the last thing I brought but that was months back.

I'm now waiting at the train station in Ipswich to get to my destination. The weather is crap, its cold, my bag is ridiculous heavy and I have to walk 2 miles with it. Will be taking pictures to document my first attempt of a solo trip. This might go horribly wrong, but at least I can escape to the farm and seek refuge if its a failure. In other news I will be testing out the Hultafors Mora kniv clone that sells for a fiver on amazon. Was expecting it next week but...That fast dispatch...

Jeez, change at Colchester, marks tey, then finally Chappel!!!

Note to self. Don't buy train BLT. They're dire.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE