Norfolk and Norwich Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
An update.
Got off the train and hoofed it in terrible weather to the site. Set up tent first because if it poured so hard it put out my fire id need somewhere to keep dry. My hoody was soaked, good thing I kept my nice new berghaus fleece in my bag. Changed into something dry and put on water proofs. Spent a while gathering fire wood. I cheat when I light fires because I'm bleeding awful at fire craft. Tissues buffed up and a bunch of wet twigs followed by a few handfuls of split dead logs and it took first time. Happy tom.
I'll show pics tomorrow evening probably but for now just to let you know, it was a success. I'm dry and warm, and there's a brew on.

Last edited:
So, My trip...

I wrangled a lift to Ipswich, where I took a train, as you know. I honestly was neither excited or changing my mind at this point.
WP_20141122_018.jpg

But I was definitely apprehensive about lighting a fire, and about the weight of my bag

WP_20141122_022.jpg

I had a long walk ahead of me, not in walking terms, but to carry the weight of a 10 year old 2 person tent, as well as a gift for my uncle and all of the water I would be needing.

This pub looked far more inviting than the road with no footpath:
WP_20141122_023.jpg

WP_20141122_024.jpg

That spinney up ahead was funnily enough, an incredibly welcome sight. By this time I'm worried about being able to light a fire

WP_20141122_026.jpg

Feeling soggy:
WP_20141122_027.jpg

I figured seeing as its raining and it might get worse, I'm going to need shelter. And given I might not get a fire started at all I might as well do it first in case I end up hiding in there eating cold rat packs.
Also my tent is the first thing out of my bag, and I need to keep my kit dry,
WP_20141122_034.jpg

FIRE SUCCESS!!! I followed RM's tips from the shows and book I read when I was a kid/teen, and it paid off. I little attention to method and making sure you do it right first time. Worth it. Even if I was cheating...(shup)
WP_20141122_035.jpg

Time for first brew. Got my pot stand/hanging thing working first time, in 5 minutes. Was very chuffed with myself.
WP_20141122_040.jpg

And although I didn't enjoy this at home. It was at home in the woods:
WP_20141122_045.jpg

Contented first time solo-woodsman
WP_20141122_049.jpg

Beef stroganoff for dinner courtesy of Midnitehound
WP_20141122_050.jpg

WP_20141122_053.jpg

In the morning my axe handle came off. First time I've used it since changing handles. Needs a wedge that actually fits i think....this one is a bit loose
WP_20141123_005.jpg

My favourite pair (other than the SO's):
WP_20141122_060.jpg

I binned my 10 year old tent after this. It was letting in water/generally tired and knackered.

I have learned:

• You need a lot less kit/food than you think, but probably more clothes. However having more kit makes you feel a bit safer.
  • Need to balance peace of mind against weight carried.
  • A cooking pot/kettle that you can hang is more valuable than one that doesn't
  • Water is, as always, an issue but you can get by on 2-3L for an overnighter comfortably. But if you have so little, make sure you use it to hydrate only (if drinking alcohol, and hiking).
  • On a night as mild as last night, a hot water bottle is not necessary, in fact camping like I did, in tent with bag, I found it less comfortable, it didn't lend much heat as it was mostly too much in one spot and ended up wasting water.
  • The type of clothing, is far more important than layers. If I had 5 layers of my normal clothes on, I would have been damp and cold. I was always warm and dry in a polyester t-shirt and decent quality fleece. On top of that the polyester/fleece combo stayed dry in drizzle. Despite sweat and/or rain the material retained it's insulating properties.
  • Good quality waterproof jacket/Waterproof trousers are a must when not under the cover of the canopy. but when under can often get away with not having a waterproof on at all.
  • I prefer saw and knife to an axe in the woods for living/staying. I think an axe is for splitting, trees larger than an arm thickness and carving larger objects like spoons. It's a great all rounder for the old ways, but i love the small saw. The axe is also much heavier.
  • I often have accidents with sharps, but I was careful and stuck to the rules. It paid off. I'm safe and sound, and never got tired using a tool (apart from the saw, that's arduous with logs)
  • Spend some time making where I'm sitting by the fire a comfortable and warm one, maybe even take something to sit on. Not fun getting a wet a**e or having to wear waterproof trousers all evening so I can't dry out. Not only that but the ground is cold.
  • When sleeping, one layer underneath REALLY is 2 on top. my small blanket that does F**K all at home when the heating is off, but became a godsend in the tent.
  • Toilet paper doubles up as great tinder :D

Last edited:

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
Next time you go Ceryni make your self a hammock chair. Better than the ground and no effort to make.

[video=youtube;KH6yqDFGRqI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH6yqDFGRqI[/video]

Last edited:

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I think the most important thing is, you enjoyed yourself. If every time time you go out and you think it's some kind of endurance test then you are doing it wrong and change your approach.

some nice photos, hope to get a meet sorted in the new year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE