Norfolk and Norwich Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi guy's,
sorry again about the camp disaster:slap:
I'm going to have to take a backseat for a while work is mental, :1244:and very stressful:aargh4:. i have had loads of problems getting insurance for my council demos..AAAAGGGHHH!!!

fingers crossed i should be able to get insurance, otherwise i can't do it.
(please feel free to come along, I'll be on my own most of the time 9 am-4pm !)

It's a thing run by Norwich city council called "Kidzone" I imagine it will be advertised in the papers soon.I took My son Benjamin(7) last year he loved it, I'd say it's Ideal for young kids up to teens.
on the list they gave me it says there'll be:
Running races
Go for less
Refreshments
punch and Judy
puppet theatre
world dance
Hunting for treasure
CME...?
big bugs (this was cool I held a live scorpion and hissing cockroah last year)
Circus
Dramactive
Arts and crafts (magical garden)
Arts and crafts (fruitful arts)
watercolours
Face painting
Bushcraft ( they miss heard me as the discription for my area is "Bush tent":lmao:
sports FITC
sports FITC
sports FITC
and even sports archery:cool:

I'll be doing the standard "friction fire" party trick, and I'll have other kit to display.

29th July "Heartsease towers"park(North East Norwich just off salhouse rd near Kai!)
5th Aug "Pilling park" (East Norwich off harvey lane)
12th Aug "Waterloo park" (North central Norwich off Aylsham road)
19th Aug "Eaton park" (west Norwich near the UEA)
26th Aug "Sloughbottom park" (North west Norwich near Asda)

all sorted.....and this year the Kidzone theme is.....:sigh:

Space.....:nutkick:

well, :thinkerg: NASA train all the astrounauts in wilderness survival..... the theme is covered!:approve:

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Rich

Try Norwich Union oops Aviva they insure most things,

also try the BASC who are a shooting organisation, they have contacts who do insurance they helped me find insurance when I was pest controlling. 01244 573030

regards

D:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
cheers for the advice,

been speaking to a friendly broker who suggests if i change the name of what i do it would be easier!
for example historical battle re-enactors get insurance easily aparently!

ie, not "bushcraft", "wilderness", or "survival".
"demonstration" is a good word to use.

Been thinking about it, what do you reckon?

"Outdoor skills demonstration"
"Woodland skills demonstration"
(i know it doesn't feel right but it'll get me the insurance i need)

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Rich

Its the way to go, we spoke some time ago about names, its only a name and if it gets the insurance cover what's the problem.

D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
My wife found a company willing to insure me which turns out to be a circus performance company. waiting for a reply.

Just managed to get a decent Issue tarp from Hoopers today!

waiting for "Rosebay willowherb" to go to seed! I need as much as possible for my displays, there's a field full of it I've got my eye on!

got my new ALICE large pack a while ago (fake but still good) and found it can carry my 5 year old girl inside! (just for a laugh), she felt ill and wanted a carry and this perked her up no end!

have a look around in woodland as wild strawberries should be ready very soon!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
found some wild strawberries yesterday! very tastey!
anyone know of a Lime tree I could "borrow" a branch or two from?

got my Display shelter sorted 2 Desrt DPM tarps I've added poppers so the rain won't go through the join!:D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
off to collect Rosebay willow herb "down" in next couple of days,
the adult plant looks like this:
RosebayWillowherb-Chamerionangustifolium2.jpg

the seeds/down looks like this when ready! the trick is to gather just before it all blows away!:rolleyes:
rosebay_willowherb_lochwinnoch05178s.jpg

some of it is ready for harvest. i find the seed pods that have just started to open are best, closed ones always seem damp in comparison.

I'm also collecting Nettle and Bramble fibers! :aargh4: :rant::tapedshutouch!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
they don't stop every sting! Thistles also go through gardening gloves!

I used to work up north for "woodland survival crafts" and we collected them with un-gloved hands and stripped and turned them into fibers all without gloves! with the punters, we did get the odd sting.
it was partly to demonstrate that you could do it i.e. if you need to make cordage you don't need gloves Nowerdays i do use gloves since hearing (i think Mors mentioned it)that you can get permanent nerve damage from it!:eek:

huntsmanbob

Jul 9, 2009
norwich
Hi guy's,
sorry again about the camp disaster:slap:
I'm going to have to take a backseat for a while work is mental, :1244:and very stressful:aargh4:. i have had loads of problems getting insurance for my council demos..AAAAGGGHHH!!!

fingers crossed i should be able to get insurance, otherwise i can't do it.
(please feel free to come along, I'll be on my own most of the time 9 am-4pm !)

It's a thing run by Norwich city council called "Kidzone" I imagine it will be advertised in the papers soon.I took My son Benjamin(7) last year he loved it, I'd say it's Ideal for young kids up to teens.
on the list they gave me it says there'll be:
Running races
Go for less
Refreshments
punch and Judy
puppet theatre
world dance
Hunting for treasure
CME...?
big bugs (this was cool I held a live scorpion and hissing cockroah last year)
Circus
Dramactive
Arts and crafts (magical garden)
Arts and crafts (fruitful arts)
watercolours
Face painting
Bushcraft ( they miss heard me as the discription for my area is "Bush tent":lmao:
sports FITC
sports FITC
sports FITC
and even sports archery:cool:

I'll be doing the standard "friction fire" party trick, and I'll have other kit to display.

29th July "Heartsease towers"park(North East Norwich just off salhouse rd near Kai!)
5th Aug "Pilling park" (East Norwich off harvey lane)
12th Aug "Waterloo park" (North central Norwich off Aylsham road)
19th Aug "Eaton park" (west Norwich near the UEA)
26th Aug "Sloughbottom park" (North west Norwich near Asda)

all sorted.....and this year the Kidzone theme is.....:sigh:

Space.....:nutkick:

well, :thinkerg: NASA train all the astrounauts in wilderness survival..... the theme is covered!:approve:
hi RAPPLEBY2000,
i cannot recconmend kidzone enough if you got kids it is this is the place to take them good clean fun and safe, my missus has worked for a friend who runs fruitful arts for the last few years and it is very popular . I hope you get your insurance sorted i think the council need to put on more things like this, it is amazing to see kids getting so much fun out of making things out of recycled materials and also learning new things which does not include an xbox.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:beerchug:
cheers huntsmanbob, if you're there come along and say hello!my kids will love the fruit art thing! (that's if they don't eat it first!) :lmao:

I managed to get insurance(just in time!) from "Park insurance", thankfully the broker actually enjoys a bit of bushcraft himself!

well i collected the Nettles and Bramble for cordage the nettle is perfect the Bramble could do with a few more months as it's not separating well yet. it's all stripped and dried now though ready for some cordage making!
(I'd always opt for Nettles, more stingy but easier to prepare).

Whilst I was in my local woods low and behold I found ripe redcurrants and raspberries!
yum!!

Rosebay-willow-herb not quite ready yet! :( theres a much smaller plant with identical seed pods I've collected but i don't know what it's called it's just as good though!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Just come back from a family camping holiday with friends, (Terrible weather!:rant:)
not quite bushcraft but it was a big eye opener!:Wow:
it is funny what people think they need to camp!
i was there with we think large 6 berth 3 pod dome tent table 2 chairs, cool bag, lantern cooker, toys and clothes for the kids, box of food etc,
I'd even managed to convince wifey to use a double sleeping bag instead of the duvet and pillows she wanted to take.

I have to say i was shocked, amongst the other 3 families they had:
electric hook up (plus extension cables), small fridge, toaster, a table lamp, kettles, water heater, a carpet, plug in stereo, wine glasses(glass), but the icing on the cake had to be a fan heater!
one of my friend actually blew the fuse box as he was using so much electricity!
as the electric was free(once paid for) he started charging his electric toothbrushes!
there was some talk about using a microwave next time

so how did they pack all this away?.....i did wonder until my wife pointed out one of the families had bought 2 cars with them!:Wow: it really showed when the family in question used the smaller city car to take the kids home and the larger 7 seater to carry the kit! including the passenger seat!

I'd managed to pack all out gear into the back of our ford focus estate, below window height, i thought we'd taken too much!

how the other side live!:lmao:

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Tch!All i need is a campfire an a tin o' beans...

Im reminded of the Reading festival i went to a few years ago...One guys tent had a fridge/freezer,Carpets,Full size television...The icing on the cake was a little white picket fence surrounding it all!Brilliant...

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
a little white picket fence surrounding it
:lmao::lmao::lmao:
that I'd have to see!

Took kids and wife to the local woods today, had red currents, and brambles(yuk not ripe!), also found wild strawberries, raspberries and the first sloes are starting to show! also we all tried some Horsetail.:)

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
I hear its going to be a better year for sloes?Non-existant last year...
I never knew you could eat horsetail?Folk used to clean old pewter pots with it.
Does it just taste of 'green'?

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
does it taste of green? :lmao:...yup but juicey and potentially refreshing.
and you're right a pot scrub it does well!
there do seem to be quite a few sloes growing:D

this is a link to a PDF file it tells you all the details of the "kidzone" bushcraft demo stuff I'll be doing for the next 5 wednesdays. please do come along and say hello, I'll be on my own most of the time.:sadwavey:

http://www.norwich.gov.uk/internet_docs/docs/Events/2009/kidzones.pdf

Yup It really is space themed!:11doh:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Yay, i found a Lime tree today, i might be able to take a branch from if not it'll be a door to door leaflet asking for one.

anyone doing anything? It's getting a bit quiet.:(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE