Non-bushcraft / hi-tech waterproof shell jacket?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Possibly not the best forum to post but I know some are knowledgable on here. Can anyone recommend a really good hill-walking / mountaineering / backpacking / relatively lightweight waterproof jacket???

It is for high activity where I will be pushing myself and sweating in the rain (wear softshell in drizzle or dry conditions). It needs to be fairly technical but I'd like low weight and durability (as much as the compromise will allow).

I've found an old model Montane Superfly XT for £149 for example. Not sure it is long enough for my slim build. I need a large size but "athletic cut" as I am 6'5" tall but slim with it. The XT is short at the front so will need to wear overtrousers sooner than with a longer body jacket.

Anyway, anyone got any ideas/recommendations? If you know of any good deals on please let me know too.

PS budget is flexible for the right product. I had a budget of £200 but would go higher if needed although a £100 eVent or Gore Tex proshell with pitzips and helmet compatible hood would be particularly nice. :D

iotarho

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2009
Tunbridge Wells
The berghaus asgard smock is being released. Built for mountaineering and big-wall climbing it is incredibly light weight! I actually regret buying my attrition jacket, finding out a week later about the smock.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Yes, saw the asgard smock. The jacket is coming too I believe. It is a very snug fit I believe relying on the armpit equivalent to the diamond crotch gusset type of thing, a kind of diamond piece of fabric to allow the arms freedom to move without lifting the hem of the jacket or the sleeves.

AFAIK the Attrition is the one with the funny mask effect over the chin. They moved the top of the main zip to one side and put ventilation holes in the front of the chin protection. Am I right iotarho? how are you finding that feature.

I was looking at a Patagonia hardshell. One of their H2nO fabric offerings. Can't remember which but it was their tough but lightish one. The M10 jacket I think with the riri aquaguard zip. £280 -20% special offer.

Still think the Superfly XT at £149 might be worth it.

iotarho

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2009
Tunbridge Wells
I quite like the funny facething - at the beginning I found it got in the way, but it actually folds to the side quite nicely! I use it for skiing and climbing, and the fit is absolutely brilliant. It is an 'athletic cut' though, so quite slim.

Patagonia, afaik are phasing out their own brand fabric, going back to goretex; which is annoying quite a few people who like their low carbon outlook.

Goretex active shell is being released soon too, which is going to be super-lightweight and they are strictly controlling every single garment which is using it. Polartec are also releasing their own shell fabric which has had good things said about it.

I was tempted by the superfly xt, as the price reduction was absolutely incredible, however I didn't like the cut of it. The newer one (priced at £199 at the same website I think) is a nicer cut.

Lots of jackets from the various 'outdoors activities' brands are leaning towards a slimmer, more athletic cut which have stretch under the arms and a longer sleeve, all for climbing which tend to stop at the waist (suiting using a harness). Whilst if you are looking for a British hillwalking jacket you will want something a little longer, Berghaus and Haglofs both do something catering towards this and I'm sure others do too. Also, bear in mind that the number of features, ie. pockets etc, reduces breathability quite severly and also increases weight.

Sorry about the wall of text, probably horrifically structure, but I just typed it out as I thought it!

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I picked up a Rab Suilven for a ton on the well known auction site and it would tick all your boxes.

Yep I got to admit I thought we were entering the world of Rab
I do some walking with a mate who is into his hi tech stuff and he has at least two Rab jackets both of which seem to do the trick One is a down jacket the other a lightweight wind and waterproof
personally I don't like the colours as his are bright blue and red but that is of course irrelevant
He does shop around and makes substantial savings but they keep the value as a quick look at the bay will show

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAB-NEUTRINO-..._Goods_Sports_Clothing_LE&hash=item19c3b37d01

Thats a nice color btw

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I had Paramo for 15 years before I got my old orignal spec superfly over 6 years ago. The Paramo was the Scale IIRC which was their mid range one. The Cascade was the dog walkers one and the Aspira had literally only just come out IIRC for the high end mountaineering use. It was also just about the cheap end of the market. I got trews and jacket, a £50 fleece, £25 compass and some other things for £200 which was cheaper than the entry level Gore-tex was at the time. Pre-internet shopping days so you had to go to limited choice of shops so not much choice back then.

Anyway my first thing I looked at was Paramo but the fit was totally wrong (as back then but I never knew any better). In one size the body was right size for me but the sleeves were too short (medium IIRC) and the large was right in the sleeves but the boxy cut did not fit in any way. I am a large or even XL in every brand in the upper half but Paramo just does not fit me in any of their products. I am surprised the more athletic designs such as quito VAL etc are not in a more athletic cut personally. Anyway Paramo are not even on the horizon for me. £275 plus another 70 plus quid for them to do a custom size according to one of their Lakes premier retailer is another reason why they are not there. Plus from experience they are not a stuff in your sack, just in case, summer cag. The superfly XT is a full on winter jacket but light and compact enough for summer use and all year use too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE