Buffalo tops - what's each one good for?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I recently purchased one from Arktis and I'm not that impressed - the ' Mammoth ' used to from what I remember when I initially saw them a very good bit of kit , but the build quality and materials seem to have been down graded as it just seems to light.

Best one I've ever seen was the model Keith from Extreme Clothing made and I've been kicking myself ever since fro not getting one as he has now stopped his business.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well quality wise it looks no better or worse than other good brands I own like montane, haglofs, ME, rab, Marmot, golite, etc. Better than keela for quality.

I spotted a potential issue on one cuff that looked like it had a loose thread. After pulling at it the thread went. I think it was a trapped couple of loose threads and not part of the hem which was secure. I have worked in a quality role with sewing so I know these things happen and it doesn't bother me.

Overall my only quibble is a personal preference that not many will think an issue. I don't find the zip on the kangaroo pouch is nice to use. The zip is closed to the left. I'm right handed and would have preferred the zip to be closed to the right. Why? Well to open it I have to move the hand from my right side to the left before opening the zip then the reverse to close. I'd prefer to move the hand from the right to the left to open. It just seems more efficient for a right handed person.

As I said it's such a minor matter that's probably only an issue for me until I get used to it. Do you ever get those feelings that something isn't right for you? That's a trivial niggle on something that should be perfect because it's a premium product?

Fit wise I think I could have got away with a shorter mountain shirt afterall. It's a little long for me, halfway between both shirts would suit me best.

It was about 10 degrees today and a weak breeze. I actually felt a little cold when stationary. It's not as warm as I thought it was going to be. Now that means I might need to rethink my kit for Norway. Although I think I might have the early stages of a cold which usually shows as feeling cold. A day or so I'll know.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
It was about 10 degrees today and a weak breeze. I actually felt a little cold when stationary. It's not as warm as I thought it was going to be. Now that means I might need to rethink my kit for Norway. Although I think I might have the early stages of a cold which usually shows as feeling cold. A day or so I'll know.

The pile isn't actually that thick, more like a heavy medium thickness. Its not actually that warm, compared to a proper insulated jacket.

You'll find it excellent for physical activity in the cold, but you really need another layer when standing still.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I used it with a t-shirt and light hoodie fleece in Norway one evening where it was possibly - 5C or a little cooler and felt warm. I don't know why I felt cold a bit at +8 to 10 a few weeks before in the UK. Norway was unseasonably warm for the time of year.

Right now the buffalo S6 is my go to evening dog walking outer layer. It's OK over a thin fleece below zero. I prefer just a t-shirt under it because it's a snug fit. I'm a measured 41.75" and the 42" fits perfectly without the pocket strap being used. I even think a 44" might have been better so I could layer under it when dog walking in the rare cold spell we get each year.

Happy with it and plan to get the hood. The neck lets out the heat and it doesn't play well with a thick neck tube or scarf but a thin buff isn't enough. I figure if it's cold enough to be an issue a hood would be a good idea.

I got a green one too. I was not into green but I wanted to buy one from an actual independent retailer nearest me and green was the only one in stock (my size fortunately). I've since been given a green fjellraven fleece scarf and a green, wool beannie by the same make. Green is growing on me. Although I'd probably wear it about town if it was the blue or black version. Green is countryside.

My new acceptance of green (sneaking into liking) means I'm thinking a pair of fjellraven trousers might be a good idea. I like their sizing being tall but they are most commonly found in green or a kind of greeny brown. Anyway once I made the choice to buy the green S6 I am now more accepting of the discrete outdoors colours that I believe proper Bushcrafters seem to favour.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Does anyone wear their's in rain? Does rain just run off?

If I get the right chest size (I'm 41.75" measured chest size over a base layer / thin fleece) the length is an inch less on the front than the 44" size but the same on the back. I think that means any run off if rain will clear my behind but not the front. Wet groinal area.

However I've got softshells which don't allow the run off like hard shells. Paramo didn't when I used to use that (15+ years ago now) and vapour rise doesn't. In light rain or a bit more for short showers I get away without using a hard shell over the top. I'm looking to use buffalo special 6 in a similar way

The alpine jacket is a good option but it's shorter than the sp6 in an equivalent size and baggier without the means to pull the fabric in like the OTG garments.
WRG to Buffalo, the outside gets wet, pertex is not waterproof, however inside you stay dry because the pile wicks away moisture towards the outside. In light showers pertex is not bad because it is drying out as fast as it is getting wet.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Ideally worn next to the skin that’s what they are designed for. Too many people mix them with other clothing types. The design is to wear one buffalo over another if needed.

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
I looked at these but ended up buying an Arktis Mammouth off ebay - very happy if you are looking for something slightly different but made in the UK

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE