No reason - just pretty

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Went walking over the fields today and there were dozens of electric blue damsel flies (I think?) flying and err...making new damsel flies :eek:

Anyway, pretty little things - thought you might like a look

Red

damsel_fly2.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You're right , it is pretty :) Looks almost like a piece of turquoise jewellery, doesn't it? I've got big blue ones hovering around the ponds just now, there were green ones earlier in the year.

Cheers,
Toddy

stinkymilo

Mar 13, 2006
Wiltshire
Beautiful.
My sister and I used to canoe with my father when we were kids and the damsel flies used to hitch a ride at this time of the year. They really are delicate creatures.

ATB

Stinky

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Great picture. I find the blue damselflies very difficult to identify. The large blue ones are Emperor Dragonflies.

Here's a 4-spotted chaser...
DSC00388.jpg

...and a broad bodied chaser from my local pond...
DSC00403.jpg

Just the time now for mating and ovipositing (dipping the lower abdomen in the water to lay the eggs). Two small red damselflies
DSC00395.jpg

Pablo

Reactions: British Red

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Some really nice pictures there. Would I be right in saying that damsel flies stow their wings along their body whilst dragonfly wings are already poised, ready for action!!

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
spamel said:
Some really nice pictures there. Would I be right in saying that damsel flies stow their wings along their body whilst dragonfly wings are already poised, ready for action!!
Yep.................Jon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Pablo - those put mine to shame - fantastic shots all 3! Truly stunning work - have a rep point for making me go :eek:

Red

I do find the beauty of nature truly humbling looking at things like that!

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
spamel said:
I think this is generally the case. The genus Zygoptera fold the wings above the abdomen, the others varying positions outstretched. I think this is more to do with ventilation and different size of the wings than being prepared and ready for action though. The damselflies have the same size fore and hind wings.

Pablo

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
in one of the polytunnels at my work there is a muff of marilgolds along one of the beds to keep whitefly and greenfly at bay. i found a few of the electric blue damselflies there this morning. the red ones and dragonflies prefer the pond outside.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE