No raised grain?

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello. I recently finished my first wooden cup/kuksa and I'm debating whether or not I should just sand it or try that method of wetting the wood first and then sanding it a few times. I'm not too fussed about the "fuzzy" effect of raised grain, but in case I change my mind, what are the steps again?

Thanks very much.

:)

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Personally I sand it down up to 120 grit, oil it, let dry for a few days, then sand again starting eith 80 grit up to 600, or if i'm being lazy just to 120. :rolleyes:

hope this helps,

Ste

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I should also ask about "sealing" too. I read somewhere that there was a process by which you can seal a cup so that no liquid seeps out or the object doesn't "drink" the liquid, I think. Do you just use oil as normal to seal it?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
You can seal it with linseed oil, tooled finishes are the best in my opinion but sand, wet sand very lightly.

You should really use the search function on here, you would find this and more with the research.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
I've used beeswax on cups Iv'e made that won't contain hot liquid, an I've just oiled regulary as well, didn,t make too much difference, except the coffe stained wee bits here and there on the one I had oiled.

I know there is a threat here somewhere about sealing it with boiling milk, but I haven't tried that yet.

I'm sure one of the more experinaced wood workers will be along soon to give you a better answer.

hope this helps,

Ste

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
I've not much experience with cups or bees wax, however the cutlery I have carved is much smoother after raising the grain, and the texture is no longer effected when used with hot food or drink.

The steps I followed were,
Sand up to 180, put item in hot water for 10 minutes or so, let dry for a few days, sand with 180, 240, 320, then oil with raw linseed oil a few times.

hope that helps.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I tried pouring boiling milk into a cherry kuk I had just finished. It split open right down the side. :confused:
So don't be stingy with the milk - fill a pan and submerge the whole thing!

Z

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I think I'll try a tooled finished for this cup. I do like the aesthetic, actually. I think I'll neaten it up today.

:)

Well try it you can always sand it later or make another.
I need to make myself one.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

jonny the monkey

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2014
Lincolnshire
Make another one, try the other method, choose which you like best.... then probably make a 3rd with all the improvements made from carving a second and pick your preferred finish :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE