No heroes any more

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
Ok then, so here's the question, who are your heroes? Personal or Public, real or fictional, sporting or....er....not, maybe even bushcrafti.....
I'll get the ball rolling,
Dan Osman - legendary climber and free faller, took everything he did to the limit.
My Papa (mum's dad) - as true an Englishman as you could hope to meet, apparently its from him I get my sense of adventure.
Lance Armstrong - nuff said!
Hobbits everywhere!!!!!
Plenty more but I dont wanna take all the post.......

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
well if we're talking woodcrafti, then obviously nessmuk, (woodcraft and camping) jj rowlins, (cache lake) and rm patterson, (dangerous river)

more recent heroes would be ranulf fiennes and dr mike stroud.

cheers, and.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
hobbitboy said:
Dan Osman - legendary climber and free faller, took everything he did to the limit.

He took it to the limit alright... he lept off a bridge and swung into a tree, all fairly terminal really :roll:

One of mine is a climber though, George Mallory - a pipe smoking nutter who really had no fear... attempting Everest in 1924 in what ammounted to a smoking jacket "because it's there". Again, terminal but worth it, he'll live on forever.

My uncle Clive who died of cancer 3 years ago - even when he was as low as he could be, in constant pain and close to death, he helped other people with cancer come to terms with everything at the end.

Leonardo DaVinci - Took thinking to new levels, invented without limits and thought about things nobody in his life time understood. i'm not with all the garbage about the code or whatever but he was 300 years advanced of most other humans in thought.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Squidders said:
He took it to the limit alright... he lept off a bridge and swung into a tree, all fairly terminal really :roll:

One of mine is a climber though, George Mallory - a pipe smoking nutter who really had no fear... attempting Everest in 1924 in what ammounted to a smoking jacket "because it's there". Again, terminal but worth it, he'll live on forever.

Mallory in fact walked most of the ascent naked. God knows why...
It was never found out out whether he reached the summit, if so he beats Hillary by quite a lot. Bodies were never found, but one solitary spoon was discovered near the top.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Mallory's body was found... 600m from the top... they found an unpaid bill for his boots (top bloke) but they didn't find his camera.

I'm not sure about if he made it or not, I don't think anyone ever will be.

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
bill tillman pioneer lightweight mountaineer,brummie stokes everest climber,ex sas,survival instructor,tom weir and other working class scots ,who during the depression in the 30;s took to the hills of scotland,mike tomkies wildlife writer and photographer,but most of all anyone who despite all the pressures of life,gets out in the wilds and regains that sense of wonderment and joy about the world we had when we were kids.

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
I'm not sure if I've got anyone I'd class as my hero...I tend to find people pretty amazing on an everyday basis, let alone those who 'push themselves to the limit'.

Jacki Chan's pretty cool...
:shock:

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
thats an easy one well two anyone first being tom crean antartic explorer from an irish farm in anascul and secondly Sir Ernest Shackleton from kerry

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
im related to Sir Ernest Shackleton woohoo.. and he was a bit of a legend i reckon!

well am i the first to say ray is one of my heros...???

mind you i have a whole list of them..
Ray Mears,
Benadic Alan
Ranulph Finnes
Ansel Adams
JRR Tolkien
Leonardo DaVinci

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Jack Burns, The one eyed horseman who appears in various guises in Edward Abbey's THE BRAVE COWBOY, THE MONKEYWRENCH GANG, HAYDUKE LIVES! and finally GOOD NEWS! His solitary ride into the heart of Tucson and taking a potshot at the distant Boss with Colt SAA expresses my utter disgust with authority.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Elmer Keith - Cowboy, firearms writer, and designer of the .44 Magnum.
Peter Hathaway Capstick - Professional Hunter, writer.

leon-1

arctic hobo said:
Yes he was: he was also the guy who advised the book about the Kennedy assassination from a sniper's perspective. Never read it myself but I have heard it is brilliant.

That's not too surprising, the man was possibly the most brilliant natural talent of his time in this field.

He had something that most people have not got, a pure instinct and patience. His abilities and strength as a person made him a legend with forces personnel the world over, I don't think that many would or could contest that.

Heroes and villains I keep close to home, heroes have always been the people that I have learnt most from, they don't need trademarks or books, they have always been helpfull and informative in what I do and pretty much never seek glory in any way shape or form.

I wish I was the same at times, a note that all can reflect on, keep your heroes close, you know them better.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I don't think I do heroes, but bushcraft wise there's quite a few people round here who who I respect immensely and always find myself learning from their words and actions... don't want to name names to save embarrassment

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE