no hammocks on public campsites?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
It is illegal to sling a hammock in the deep dark wood and sleep there.

Better not do it then.

HAVE WE ALL GONE MAD????? :confused:

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
My god, you just have way to many rules. Shouldn't people be given some responsibility. I guess you have it like in Germany too then, where almost all cliffs are fenced off if they are along a public hiking route?

My opinion is that it is your own responsibility to keep yourself healthy and alive. Normal caution should be expected by anyone. Speed limits are okay, but as long as things are to be considered non-moving objects, such legislation is insane.

Torjus Gaaren

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Torjusg,

My post was sarcastic about not hammocking in the deep dark wood, I agree with you that there are times personal responsibility and considered risk in the interest of reasonable personal freedom is better than blind adherence to laws.

Althoug I would ask permission to fly on private (farmers land etc.) in the interest of not getting a shotgun pellet in my Butt! :)

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
drstrange said:
Torjusg,

My post was sarcastic about not hammocking in the deep dark wood, I agree with you that there are times personal responsibility and considered risk in the interest of reasonable personal freedom is better than blind adherence to laws.

Althoug I would ask permission to fly on private (farmers land etc.) in the interest of not getting a shotgun pellet in my Butt! :)

I didn't bother reading more than the first few posts so I answered only to the first post. Should have stated that in my post. Sorry :eek:

Torjus Gaaren

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Not the UK. England and Wales.

Here in Scotland you can wild camp/hammock almost anywhere provided you do so responsibly. It is similar to the Scandinavian 'allemansratt.'

I think the situation in England has come about partly because of history (feudalism) and partly due to population density (about 4 times that of Scotland.)

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
What happens to someone who gets caught fly hammocking?
Has anyone ever been convicted of this offence, if so, how was it dealt with by the law?

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
I can see it now:
Good evening, due to the growing interest in the environment, and many more people taking an interest in the activities of television personalities such as Ray Mears and that bloke from South Africa wot catches snakes, local farmers and institutions such as the National Forestry Commission and The National Trust are worried about the increasing number of so called 'bushcrafters' whose woodland hammocking activities, they say, pose a serious threat to the British way of life. A NFC spokesman added: "I can't understand these people, they have nice televisions, various food outlets all within driving distance (a quarter of a mile), nice, solid walled houses and flats, yet they persist in wanting to come out here, and ILLEGALLY sleep between two old trees, at night". An official from the National Trust added: "some of these modern day 'Davy Crockets' even have spouses and children who they openly encourage to copy their anti-social behaviour".
A community divided
Following the recent high-profile raid on a house in Ballham where two suspected 'bushcrafters' were arrested by police for plotting to hammock in a pre-selected area of Ashdown Forest and where police recovered items from the house such as 'Nickwax and Grampas pine tar soap (evidence of a laundering operation) and exremist literature such as 'Ray Mears essential bushcraft', and in the wake of the 8.14 atrocity where four groups of 'back-countrymen' (as they are sometimes known within restricted circles) simultaneosly hammocked in four different secluded woodland areas in an evil act designed to have as little impact on the natural environment as possible, the governement is seeking stronger powers to clamp down on what they are describing as 'the most significant threat to normal-acceptable consumer values in recent years'. A goverment spokesman explains: "We can't let this continue, we have to think about the well-being of countless multinational corporations, not to mention the media, advertising industry, supermarket chains, military industrial complex and so on... if people start to rely on their own initiative and imagination, then who knows where it will all end up, our advisors are already running worst case scenarios around nightmare situations such as vastly reduced ITV1 viewership, group-buying syndicates (whole groups of friends bulk-buying essentials together and sharing the savings), and the reduction of the tourism industry and the package holiday". "It's up to the general public to be vigilant" he added, "but we must be mindfull, and avoid a backlash to the general camping and caravaning community whose activities are completely legal". We asked a group of caravan club memebers how they felt in the wake of recent events: "It's realy been hard lately, people have been looking at us differently, we can't go into a Millets store or buy a bottle of calor gas without arousing suspicion, it's a shame that a small minority of extremists can spoil things for all of us" and the Camping and Caravan association of UK issued a statement condemming the recent hammockings as "an act of pure evil, attacking the values of the whole community".
Sleeper cells
Following a recent visit to the UK by controversial and outspoken bush-cleric Moors Konchisksi, the government is looking at other ways to deter what it calls 'home-grown countryside-longers', and is working with the Swedish and Canadian authorities (countries where bushcraft training camps are said to exist) to stop the flow of impressional young converts between there and the UK .
Watch this space.

Reactions: Zodiak

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
:lmao: :lmao: thats what it will come to you can just imagine :rolleyes: lol

spikeydapikey you said you found a biker friendly campsite as a fellow biker when i get the chance to get out(IOM booked for next year :D ) could you give me the details of where it was.
cheers
weekender

no worries just found your thread.

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
paulcd said:
Hi guys, new to the forum, nothing witty to say, but would like to know if I am breaking site/forum rules to advertise my spectacular bushcraft campsite that allows hammocks and campfires for responsible campers and groups.

**** the rules, wheres the site!!! (no offence mods!)

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
People have no respect for the alternate campers. Theres the security issue though with tarps and hammocks, if thats what your reffering to. You cant leave your tarp n if you take it with you, your spot might get taken........especially during the packed summer months.

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Lets face it. public campsites are for 'the public'.

so is Bingo
so is Eastenders
so are Thorpe Park
so is Nike
so is Strictly come dancing on ice in the jungle
so are Ready Meals (even though its the same initials as Ray Mears)
so is Cillit Bang
so is The National Lottery
so is DFS
so is Wogan
so is Peter Storm
so is Nissan Micra
so is Chicken Tonight
so are Plug-in air fresheners
so is Hammocking (er, no sorry that isn't)
so are OK and Hello magaznes
so are Clip Shows
so is Decking
so are those "Beautiful and useful awnings" wot John Stalker advertises
so are Easter Bank holiday DIY projects
so is Cilla Black
so were 'The Swinging Sixties'
so were 'The Sweaty Seventies'
so is Madonna
so is Calor Gas
so is Fashion
so are The Chuckle Brothers (They're not that bad actaully)
so is Religion
so is Classic FM
so is Smooth FM
so is Lager
so is Crimewatch UK
so is The Daily Mail
so are rediculously easy Phone in Quizzes like "What is The Earth: a) Our Planet or b) a shoesize or c) your elbow
So is So is So is........

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
The chuckle brothers are still around!? There welllllllllllllllllllllllll old. I rember watching them when I was like 7 or somthing. Woah they must be gettin on in years.....prunes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE