no hammocks on public campsites?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
After Bushmoot we all hightailed it up to the Cairngorms and then West Scotland for three weeks. Were accosted by a ranger who (upon seeing a Kelly Kettle of all things) got all chatty and realised we were being responsible campers. The Scots have wonderful access laws (very recently tweaked and codified) which allow you to wild camp anywhere as long as you are willing to be 'responsible for your actions' (can't see that catching on in England!!!). I was so impressed I might even get a kilt.... :eek:

N

paulcd

Tenderfoot
led said:
I'm sure Paul will post soon, but it's near Hay-on-Wye.
Thanks for the link, Led.
I'm just putting finishing touches to the forestry track which will enable access into the woodland, then I will be putting up details on my website pretty soon.
We need a list of basic campsites like this, don't we? Somewhere you can turn up after a weeks work, at a favourite spot, light a fire and pitch tent/hammock, mix with others under a para or keep yourselves to yourselves? Hope to catch up with some of you soon. PCD

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Nyayo said:
After Bushmoot we all hightailed it up to the Cairngorms and then West Scotland for three weeks. Were accosted by a ranger who (upon seeing a Kelly Kettle of all things) got all chatty and realised we were being responsible campers. The Scots have wonderful access laws (very recently tweaked and codified) which allow you to wild camp anywhere as long as you are willing to be 'responsible for your actions' (can't see that catching on in England!!!). I was so impressed I might even get a kilt.... :eek:

N

Woah, sweet! I might just take the gruling train ride up there next year and get away from everything.....it'l be just the like the 39 stepsss....(damn I hate that book).

sploing

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
Sorry, I dont know how to use the fancy quote box thingy but someone asked what would happen to you if you were caught illegally hammocking. well, as a cop I tend to avoid odd looking folk, hiding in the bushes with pointy things but it's not a criminal matter really, it's a civil thing. you would mostly just be asked to move on and have your details taken and passed on to the land owner who may decide to take legal action. Thats how I see it but then again it doesnt come up that often in Manchester.

Jun 5, 2006
Hampshire
I've found exactly the same problem with hammocking at "proper" campsites. I got the same feedback about garoting etc, and also about not being allowed to tie anything onto trees, as apparently this would harm them.
Ironically I have hammocked at a large service station just outside of Frankfurt, between a tree and a lamp post in the parking area. The German police had a look at me setting up, and then left me to it. I also got a lot of strange looks from the caravan dwellers. :yelrotflm
I sometimes find the time to go surfing in North Devon, and would ideally stay on a campsite with washing facilities (hot showers!) and sleep in my hammock (so much more comfortable). If anyone knows of anywhere around Croyde, please PM me, or reply on here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE