no hammocks on public campsites?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Hi all,

I'm trying to plan a short 'family' camp (me, the fella, and three dogs) in June and have been trawling the camp site directories for somewhere nice, out of the way, but near to the coast (Dorset, Devon). Having rung a couple of places and asked about slinging a hammock only to be told 'that wouldn't be possible', I finally was told that any 'public' campsite with a 'star' rating would not permit hammocks due to the risk of injury to other campers (garotting was mentioned)...

Has anyone else experienced this phenomena?

ODG

hilltop

Banned
May 14, 2006
edge of the peak district
outdoorgirl said:
Hi all,

I'm trying to plan a short 'family' camp (me, the fella, and three dogs) in June and have been trawling the camp site directories for somewhere nice, out of the way, but near to the coast (Dorset, Devon). Having rung a couple of places and asked about slinging a hammock only to be told 'that wouldn't be possible', I finally was told that any 'public' campsite with a 'star' rating would not permit hammocks due to the risk of injury to other campers (garotting was mentioned)...

ODG
similar but not exactly the same, i was told on a site near scarbourgh that could put up a hammock if, 1) i paid for the pitch/ space it took up, 2) it was no more than 6" off the ground for insurance ,3) i took it down at night, lol, lol, lol , i think he wanted to say no, but didnt want to upset a paying guest, lol

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
We used a forestry commision site in the New Forest and put up hammocks for lounging on during the day with no problem, we didn't ask but nobody said anything. The other option might be scout campsites, but some will only allow groups to camp.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
My partner and I had a similar experience when camping last year. Hammocks were prohibited at the camping grounds (more akin to a car park than a campsite). So we went 50 metres of the beaten track and set up our hammocks. It was a much nicer campsite, no noise from any neighbours.
The last night, there was a huge storm which brought tree limbs crashing down. We slept comfortably and dry, but on arriving back at the designated campsite, found that everyone in tents had been drenched by sidewards blowing rain!

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
outdoorgirl said:
Hi all,

ODG

Interesting that garrotting was mentioned..... I wonder how people fare when they put a washing line up (as so many campers and caravanners do??? Makes ya think eh ?? :confused:

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Hi,
The campsites that i have usedmy hammock at seem not to have been a problem mind you i didnt ask and just set it up but no one complained, mind you that might have been due to the range of sharp things laying around :lmao:
as a second thought it was at This place
i will let you all know how things pan out tomorrow night when i try again.
louis

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
So if there are tents around with guy ropes what happens? If kids are running around they are equally likely of garrotting themselves. :togo:

I had a similar experience recently at a camping and carravan site - all very "poshe" but no flexibility at all. :rant:

And people wonder why we go off into the undergrowth to do our thing?!! :cussing:

Ahem...perhaps I should re-phrase that..... :eek:

Phil

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
stone said:
I wonder sometimes if it wouldn't be better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission? :lmao:

Try the salesmans method: don't ask a question that can be answered with a no.
It is always easie to say no than yes. It saves having to engage in further conversation.
If you have to ask try, "Would you prefer that I sling my hammock over there, or over there?" Or combine with flattery and start with: "My friend stayed here last year and told me that your site is immaculate. Would you prefer .... etc."

Rod

On a new journey
We stayed at the YHA site near Wantage where they have camping and two static wigwams for 'hire'. There is a small copse on the site and when I enquired the Wardens said that we could have put a hammock up. I think the novelty value may have had something to do with it. We walked part of the Ridgeway - as its on our doorstep - and we thought it would make for a cheap holiday / getaway. Only 2 campsites listed in the guide book - so you are pushed towards stealth camping, or worse - B&B :eek:

One place we were at in the Highlands last summer said it would have been fine to put up hammocks, and they had kids running around the wooded parts of the site all the time. This was on the West Highland Way, so they has allsorts of folks calling in.

Most places we try seem to only want to have caravans / touring tents that have their own facilities and need electricity. Not our kind of camping. Seems to be a SE thing. Too many people chasing too many SUVs! :lmao:

Someone made a point about guylines and tents. A childhood friend tripped and fell over a tent guy and her cheek was impaled on a tent peg. She was fine, but had a nasty scar. Your point is well made.

Aside / BTW: Your help is appreciated with this, as it's kind of related:
I'm trying to find a good campsite in the east of England - around Thetford Forest - where you can camp in a tent or hammock, that doesn't require you to have your own chemical toilet (nasty unhygenic things :yuck: ) Any ideas on this guys and gals? please pm me. I've found one site that is on the edge of Mildenhall airbase, so far!

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
stone said:
I wonder sometimes if it wouldn't be better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission? :lmao:

That was my first thought to (Almost word for word :lmao: )
But unfortunately you really should abide by the landowner's rules, no matter how outlandish. If you don't like 'em, I'm afraid you should just find somewhere else.

Not quite 2p worth, but you can keep the change :p

B

bombadil

Come here to the Amazon......hammocks are the only beds you'll find :p

:1244:

Aug 13, 2006
dorset
outdoorgirl said:
Hi all,

ODG

me and my friend never have any problems like this, i live in dorset and we often go for walks around for a few days and set up camp were ever we want. when we go, no one would ever know we've even been there,
:)

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
Myself, Womble_Lancs and Maddave all stopped here the night before the bushmoot. Great site, friendly staff, and the local chinese takeaway deliver to it as well !

When asked about hammocks, he said he had never heard of them for camping, but it's something he's going to look into :)

LINK HERE for Acorn Campsite

Dont know the owner's etc just a damn good site, and it was also biker friendly, and stayed open for us, when we rang to say we were running late :)

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
me and my friend never have any problems like this, i live in dorset and we often go for walks around for a few days and set up camp were ever we want. when we go, no one would ever know we've even been there,
But its still illegal mate..... you really should take the time to get the land owners permission.... you never know, you may get a nice private spot you can use regularly along with permission to take wood (both dead and green) and maybe the odd bunny ;)

Please guys and gals.... keep within the law

Ed

The laws an :censored: in england when it comes to camping.

there should be a right to camp law. I live within a couple of miles of cannock chase and there is strictly no wild camping on the chase, how stupid can you get

:censored: 's.

Someone should start a campaign to have the right to camp on any land you want as long as you follow certain codes. This should include private land as well.

:soapbox:

sorry for going off topic :naughty:

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
Thought about buying a hammock, but........

263_000_P_011A.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE