No Carbs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
It is if you let it cool after cooking before eating….

Which I believe is also true of normal po-ta-toe's
Something occurs where the carbs are less able to cross over the blood/glucose barrier when eaten cold.

1699479663581.png

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Raw honey? I’m surprised that that doesn’t give a big spike.

Yeah - probably best to avoid that until your diabetes has shown to be improving and avoid treats and anything you want to convince yourself is acceptable.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Yeah - probably best to avoid that until your diabetes has shown to be improving and avoid treats and anything you want to convince yourself is acceptable.
I recommended it as a healthier replacement off treats iff the OP carn t resist a treat once in a while .

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@Tengu
Has your GP sent you to see a dietician ?
Diet is often such a very personal thing, that having someone to help you plan within the extra limitations that diabetes brings, might be really helpful.
If you haven't seen one, it's probably something that could be arranged.

I hope you find it all becomes manageable and it causes you no grief.

M

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Walking, even a very small stroll , post meal needs to become a routine.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
black barley not pearled 100% rye bread organic whole wheat seeded loafs
Finland has tradiotionally been a rye bread country but lately oat bread has gained a lot of ground (or shelf space). Apparently for the simple reason of non-gluten, that has to be checked though as some cultivars do have some as a result of crossing. Not bad, though not it tends to be a bit crumbly because of no gluten glue.

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Finland has tradiotionally been a rye bread country but lately oat bread has gained a lot of ground (or shelf space). Apparently for the simple reason of non-gluten, that has to be checked though as some cultivars do have some as a result of crossing. Not bad, though not it tends to be a bit crumbly because of no gluten glue.
Gluten isn't the problem for diabetes though - carbohydrates are. Gluten is a protein. Unless you are intolerant of gluten - there is no need to avoid it.

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Looks like there are enough problems with gluten that avoiding it is not going to hurt you. As far as I have read there are no direct connections but some indirect ones.
Read where? Proper research, or some sort of 'guru' spouting unfounded pseudo-science?

• Angry
Reactions: 1 pot hunter

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Read where? Proper research, or some sort of 'guru' spouting unfounded pseudo-science?
Having had some symptoms of autoimmune reaction the doctor suggested cutting gluten for a while, apparently reason being so called leaky gut syndrome, causes all kind of strange things none good, one of the things he mentioned was risk for diabetes. Did not help me but other things did.

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Having had some symptoms of autoimmune reaction the doctor suggested cutting gluten for a while, apparently reason being so called leaky gut syndrome, causes all kind of strange things none good, one of the things he mentioned was risk for diabetes. Did not help me but other things did.
Leaky gut syndrome isn't really a diagnosable or fully recognised condition - but If cutting gluten helps you of whatever symptoms you have - go for it. Note that oats have gluten too, albeit a different form of it.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Go as full-grain as you possibly can and cut out white flour, rice, pasta etc as much as you can. Brown basmati rice and whole wheat or other cereals are good substitutes. Oats are good too and high in beta-glucans which are good.

At least half your plate, needs to be vegetables. Make sure your shopping basket reflects this new reality (unless you already do that of course). Fruit is good, but be careful not to over do it. Avoid juices and such.

Match carbs with fat. E.g. if you have an apple, have some nuts or peanut butter with it, bread with butter and cheese and so on. (As an aside, cashew nuts are higher in carbs than other nuts, apparently.)

Walk every day (the positive effects last for about 24 h).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE