Night out with my lad

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Hi all,

I am going out tomorrow night with my lad (4 years old) he has been out with me but in the past I taken a tent with me for ease of putting him to bed and staying dry and I can zip him in and 90% guarantee he will stay there.

I want to take the tarp out, any suggestion on past experiences with little ones and tarps, ie how can I get him to sleep without him wanting to look out at what's happening around him?

Or should I just not worry about it and see what happens?

Cheers
T.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
He's four ? keep him close; it's surprising the things that spook kids that just don't occur to us. On t'other hand, short nights just now :)
His own torch might not be a bad idea. Modern children grow up with light at the touch of a button; real dark is very strange to them. A tent's a bit like a room, just outside, a tarp's a different thing entirely.

I hope it's a clear, dry night :) and he's absolutely fascinated by all the stars :D

cheers,
M

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Sound tends to stir the imagination more than anything else. I'd take a good book with a lighthearted woodland theme. Get a hot chocolate down him get him snug by a crackling long fire and play games and read stories until the sun goes down.

My 4 year old likes to pay "what dinosaur am I"

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
I have one little bush-mate who wants his own corner of an inner tent and completely cocoons himself under his sleeping bag; and one bush-baby who wants to be where I am, usually in the covered tent porch.

The only strict rules I have are:

1. No playing when the fire is on and don't pick up any hot food/pans unless I pass it to them.

2. Line of sight at all times, closer when I'm setting up and packing on busy sites.

3. Toilet bucket inside the tent for night use, with soap and water hand-washing.

They can get as wet and muddy as they like, but if they ever get cold or hungry you've got it wrong.

A tarp for us is a stepping stone to being out with no cover at all, not quite there myself yet though!

Last edited:

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Cheers I think I will go for it and pitch the tarp a bit more like a tent (flying diamond or similar) and I will keep him close.I have never had a problem with him when out, but I may take the banchee as a back up incase he doesn't settle.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I've been taking my boys out since they were tiny babies family camping and my eldest first stayed under a tarp last year when he was 4. The main thing that stopped him drifting off easily was a very very gentle breeze on his face, he just wasn't used to going to sleep without 100% wind proofing whether that's in a bedroom or tent. He wasn't bothered about the dark or any noises as daddy was right next to him. Usually I use a lightweight camp bed on the ground under a tarp but I slept on the floor right next to him so I was close. He had his own torch but didn't use or need it and we both had hot chocolate before turning in. He LOVED it and prefers to only sleep under tarps now he's a big boy (he's 5 and a half now lol).

Great tips and advice from Toddy and Mountainm :)

Hope it all goes great....check the weather forecast as I think there's rain coming to some parts tomorrow and do make sure you come and let us know how you both got on.

Cheers,

Bam. :)

Last edited:

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Some great tips there I'm hoping to get my boy out with me at some point he's 3 and a half, he loves the woods and we've been camping in the big family tent, how would be the way to get him out of that and under a tarp?

Sent from somewhere?

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
how would be the way to get him out of that and under a tarp?

I did a couple of Saturday nights under the tarp in our back garden with him before taking my lad out in the woods under the tarp. By night two he was used to it and loved it and the following weekend we did it "live" lol
On the first night under it in the garden, I put it up in the morning so he and his little brother could play under it all day and he got used to the idea of it.

Hope that helps :)

Edit: meant to say, he's been coming to the woods (in a carrier) since he was tiny, just like your littleun by the sound of it. Next time you're out stick a tarp up and sit under it for snacks etc. I did this lots and again it helped get him used to the tarp and being under it.

Last edited:

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Well here is our little trip report.

We parked up and took the packs outs
CIMG1399.jpg

It was not long before I had to put the pack down and a go one the tyre swing (Noah not me :))
CIMG1403.jpg

As usually Noah mananged to turn everything into a play ground.
CIMG1406.jpg

CIMG1407.jpg

My brother and his friend Dave turned up and I gave Dave my flint and steal kit to get a fire going, due to the amount of rain that had come down the day before most thing were soaked.
CIMG1410.jpg

after several attempts Dave past it to me and I managed to get the most to busrt into a bit of a flame but failed to take.
CIMG1411.jpg

So I broke out the fire kit and got a fire going to get a brew on.
CIMG1412.jpg

Noah and Uncle Bev chilling under one of my old tarp that my brother has no somehow "borrowed" from me. Noah said he wanted the tent for the night so he played under the tarp. My plan is to take him out at home under the tarp to get him used to sleep out in the open.
CIMG1415.jpg

Noah had a go with Daves cataput, needless to say my brothers friend had a best mate for the night.
CIMG1418.jpg

Dave decided that he would find some firewood which turned into his chair for the evening.
CIMG1421.jpg

The nights dinner was pizza cooked in the Trangia, it worked well but took a fair while to cook. (2.5ltr billy, 3 stones to lift the fying pan off the botom to make an oven)
CIMG1425.jpg

My brother want happy with not having a chair, so fashioned this.
CIMG1427.jpg

Suprissingly it lasted the night, even getting a back rest a bit later.
CIMG1428.jpg

CIMG1429.jpg

CIMG1438.jpg

CIMG1440_1.jpg

Noah had behaved well all evening, listting to what he was told and helping out where he could.

Apart from the catapult i think this was the bit he enjoyed the most.
CIMG1442.jpg

CIMG1445.jpg

Pizza was finally done and i started on my calzonie while Noah tucked in.
CIMG1450.jpg

CIMG1452_1_1.jpg

CIMG1454.jpg

CIMG1458.jpg

A late night for Noah, but was tucked up in the tent at 10pm, not a stir from him.
CIMG1455.jpg

The rest of the night was sat around the camp fire with my brother and Dave. Its amazing how campfires brings people to gether and no matter if you with family, fellow bushcrafters, friends or people you have meet for the first time you always 100's of things to talk about and just as many things to laugh about.

We sat up chatting and listen to a bit of radio until 3am. I dont usually take a radio but this was something brought by Dave and when tuning we came across bbc3, i am sure it would have been a sight if anyone had come across us, 4 lads aged 25 to 33 sitting around camp fire listing to smooth jazz music from 1930's followed by music from the Proms.

Finally photo as we walked back to our cars.
CIMG1459.jpg

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Great trip report and some lovely photos, looks like a fantastic time was had by everyone. Some nice looking woods too.

Sent from somewhere?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Wow. How time flies. Four already. I'm really glad another individual from the youngest generation is going to grow up appreciating nature. Well done mate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE