Nick Wheeler, "Kit" Knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Some time ago I posted some pictures and information about my WoodsWalking (OSF) knife that was forged by Nick Wheeler, completed by Jamie Knowlden and sheathed by Jamie Briggs. This project knife began several years ago and is just about finished. Somewhere around 50 OSF knives were produced, 6 forged and the remainder stock-removal. Several different steels, 2 grind heights (1/2 and 2/3), and a vast array of handle materials were used on these project knives. My stock removal piece should be coming along soon.

Nick Wheeler is a young knifemaker from Winlock, Washington (Southwest WA). He completed his performance tests for Journeyman Smith last summer, and is on his way to complete the tests for his JS stamp this year. He makes some stunningly beautiful knives, both by forging and stock-removal. He is going to be working with a local knife making supplier to produce ground and heat-treated blade blanks…essentially kits for these two patterns. One pattern is very similar to the stock-removal OSF pattern and the other a flat ground hunter pattern. I was recently honored to have him ask me to look at two of his new designs, and my impressions are posted on JM’s Outdoors-Magazine.

Here they are, a Scandi and Flat ground:

outdoorpair122vj.jpg

There are two older threads about my forged OSF and one by eraaji concerning his stock-removal OSF in comparison to a Woodlore here at BCUK.

My WoodsWalker OSF, 1

http://www.bushcraftuk.net/community/showthread.php?t=2153&highlight=nick+wheeler

My WoodsWalker OSF, 2

http://www.bushcraftuk.net/community/showthread.php?t=2644&highlight=nick+wheeler

eraaiji’s comparison

http://www.bushcraftuk.net/community/showthread.php?t=3160&highlight=nick+wheeler

And finally my article on the new knives from Nick Wheeler and Alpha Knife Supply.

http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=175

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Just had an email from Nick to say that the latest batch of carbon OSF blanks are nearly ready for HT :eek:):

Schwert ,do you know when those kits will be available ??

rb

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Sorry guys at this point I cannot answer any of the availability or pricing questions. I know Nick just returned from Montana and the best bet would be a direct email to him or Chuck at AKS.

I have a pictorical article that I am putting together on the "Making of the OSF Stock-removal Blades", that should be up sometime this week over at JM's. These images from Nick really helped me understand the steps and care that Nike puts into a blade. His work is definately worth checking out. I have added one of his flat ground AKS blanks to my purchase list so am also awaiting word that the project has jumped off the ground.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Schwert can you post a link to your article when you get it finished ,sounds very interesting.

rb

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Will do. It is in final edit right now....here is a preview of a couple of the images that Nick supplied me with.

Nick grinding in his shop...

hoggintang2.jpg

And an OSF blank ready for quench...

austenitized.jpg

Article will be over at JM's Outdoors-Magazine in the same area as the Kit knife review. As soon as Nick gets a chance to review my text for glaring errors it will be up. Nick supplied all the images and I know what a pain it is to try and document something while you are making it...I think he did a great job on these pictures and I hope I strung them together clearly and properly.

Sep 20, 2004
Winlock, WA
Hello Everyone :wave:

I really appreciate the kind words and interest!!!

I owe Randy big time for all of his work with this project!

Chuck has been really busy with other commitments, but I think the ball will be rolling soon on this project.

We really wanted (okay, I wanted) to get some feed-back on this idea before getting overly involved with it. It seems as though there is plenty of interest in more woods knives....even from the US :wink:

Well, I'm supposed to be at the gym... I'm late. But I wanted to thank you all for the interest!

-Nick-

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Great articule and great looking blades. It's great to see the whole process especially for someone like myself thats very much a learner when it comes to knives and the whole process of making of them.

Keep them coming :You_Rock_

James

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Very interesting and imformative article Schwert .
It's so nice to see behind the scenes and it really makes me appreciate the work involved in making a blade.
I am really looking forward to seeing some of Nicks work up close.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE