Nick Crane's Map Case ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I don't know if anyone can help me, but has anybody else been eyeing up Nick Crane's Map case as used in the Map Man series on the box. Yes I know its big and a bit on the heavy side for a map case, but it looks like it may hold a small amount of kit. I'm thinking it could have "bikeing" origins or maybe military but just can't find anything online.

miniac

Forager
Sep 1, 2005
Rainham, Essex, UK
A lot of motorcycle tank bags look similer to the one he uses. A clear section for you map and directions and space inside for your lunch and wet weather gear. You can get them with handles, shoulder straps and I used to have one that had rucksack straps on it.

Just try any motor bike retail or website

Hope that helps :D

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I've had a good look around for the same map case Harrison but to no avail I'd quite like one as a map case / possibles pouch i think it would work well with my setup.
The only conclusion I've come to is that I'm going to have to make one:rolleyes: so if anyone knows if there still made (it does look a bit 80's) and where to get one i would also like to know too.

James

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I cant find a picture leon but basically its an over the shoulder bag looks like it a water proof nylon it has a clear panel pocket on the front that fits a map folded in to a square and has sealing flap at the top. the back bag pocket seems to be about 2 to 3" deep and has a flap lid. You don't get to see much of it he's always wearing it on his hip with what ever map the programs about in it.

James

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
I've got one :nana:

I picked it up in a military surplus/everything else store in Wales somewhere, but I can't remember where. It isn't military, and it was brand spanking new when I got it, and I don't think it is circa 1944....

Just keep your eyes peeled and one might turn up.

Jake.

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
Oh, and I realise that dosn't help in the tiniest amount, but I felt like bragging....

I've got one :nana:

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
How about some nice pictures Capacious, with dimensions, to make up for the bragging ;)

then James can make a lovely leather version that will be the envy of the world :D

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
blimey you must be telescopic Dave that's just what I've been contemplating but dont know about the envy of the world:D

Capacious some photos would be unbelievably helpful plan, front, back, sides, fastenings, flaps and lids, if there are any internal pockets a picture of the insde and a three quarter view. Any of the above would be amazing but just a closeup detail shot should give me enough inf to get started

James

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Ive got one, and I aint telling where I got it :p

Ok then...I give in, its an "Officers Document bag" and it came from Silvermans, available in DPM, Green and Black, it cost £34.99 and the product code is 70517. :)

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
What about this one? http://www.dreamdirect.co.uk/prodview.asp?sku=22750&GUID={8F6CF7CC-B511-412B-A5C7-A2E9FF78CDD1}&mc=X00201&TRK=26
Dave.

quarterstaff

Aug 5, 2004
uk
I have been having a look around and had come to the conclustion that is was some sort of cycling handle bar bag,I cant seem to find a pic of a "Officers Document bag" though.
cheers

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
James,

I would but I havn't got a digital camera. I'll measure it and describe it in detail when I have the time, I'm rather swamped at the moment.

The officers document holder is slightly different, and the one I have is identical to Mr. Cranes and it isn't a cycle crossbar bag (unfortunately, because it would be reeeally useful if it was :p )

Jake.

The bag from Silvermans looks close, but the dimensions are not the same. Crane's bag is longer rather than deeper....? and looks like it takes a map opened out rather than a document..A4 size. It does look good though..What sort of volume has the Silvermans Bag ?..looks about 10ltr ?. Thank for the help guys I'm thinking that a bloke as travelled as Nick Crane may have got it further afield. I might just have to do a bit of stalking and ask him, I know he gets his umbrella's hand made from a spot in London or thats what it says in one of his books so I'll have a scan through some more and see if he mentions the map case.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Let me assure you that the bag from Silvermans is EXACTLY the same as the one that Nick Crane uses.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE