NHS Praise

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I needed some teeth extracting and work on my jaw. Got referred to my local hospital and had a full pre op assessment on the 17th, ECG, lung function (I have COPD) etc and was admitted on Friday at 11:00. All went smoothly and I awoke from general anesthetic later on. Doctor came to see me on the ward at 20:30 to make sure I was OK and I was back home by 21:00 sipping a medicinal cognac :) My mouth is a bit sore, stitches etc. and I'll need denture plates in three or four months but I'm glad the work is done.

The whole team were fantastic and highly professional, I'm still proud to have worked for the NHS and its wonderful to see new young staff doing such a wonderful job.

We only see/hear the 'horror' storied about the NHS so I thought I'd post a positive story :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Glad to hear all went well and that your recovering Rik. Hope it continues well and it's pain free.
Apart frim one miss diagnosis by a local GP which cost me a hip I've nothing but praise for the NHS. We're very lucky in this country to have such a service. One that to many take for granted.
As some of you know I've had a few problems in the last few years. But the NHS has saved my life and cobbled me back together. The county main hospital and local infirmary have put in a pacemaker, new hip, grown the skin back on my legs and fixed a plethora of associated problems. The Doctor I now have and the nursing team have been fantastic and I literaly owe them my time here. So thank you to them and to all of us who pay our taxes to be able to afford it. The hours that the medical staff put in in difficult conditions is unsurpassed in the world I think.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Palaeocory

Forager
The NHS has always been one of my favourite things about this country! It makes me sad when it's not getting the funding or the appreciation it deserves... Canadians are always pretty boastful of our health services, but that's just relative to our southern neighbour. The UK's is far superior and should be a point of pride :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I hear about people who wish to radically change it... it makes me sad :(

Those are not really people in their right mind; if they were they'd know to leave well alone.........Difficult to say more on the subject without going political, so I'll not go there :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I second all the sentiments above. My recent experience of the NHS was excellent.

My experience of the local District nurses was less good, when they mislaid two appointments in a row, but that is trivial compared to the superb hospital care I recieved.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Ive had very good treatment, and some thats been disgraceful, ive have noticed a gradual decline in service too in the last 5yrs (but think this is political based so will leave it) still wouldnt be without though well i wouldnt be here now for one thing.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Three times the NHS has made sure I didn't die. I've had my problems in there... problems like not being fed for a couple of days, or misdiagnoses... worst of which left me with muscle spasms... I had no control but I managed to reach the buzzer and I was treated immediately.

Can't thank my primary surgeon enough... not only did he save my life on the last minute after being flown in by helicopter on our first meeting, but he has continued to ensure I remain alive. Top bloke and all thanks to the NHS... particularly the team at the Walton Centre.

Take the good with the bad, but I would not like to be without the NHS. If I lived elsewhere in the world, I would not have had the opportunity to see my children grow up.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
My dad left Mid Argyll hospital(Lochgilphead) on Friday, rural service is just as excellent as Monklands hospital in the central belt. I have the great respect for the NHS in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE