Next Generation Gore-Tex

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I just saw this article:

Gore-Tex is about to take another step forward in its dominance of artificial wet weather skin. Now, they can fuse together outer layers with foreign inner layers, to two great results.

Gore-Tex's most capable shell materials have always had to be stand alone, making them a little bit like wearing a crinkly sheet or garbage bag (without the sweat build up, of course). They're taking their 3 layer shells and bonding them to interesting inner liner materials in an extension of their "comfort mapping" tech. So, if the chest and back need insulated, they can attach a piece of fleece there; or padded armor on elbows and shoulders; or antimicrobial liners on armpits. The sub brand isn't new, but before, comfort mapping involved sewing, opening up the potential for unsightly seams and water leakage. Now they heat press the new layers in, so that there are no extra punctures in the outer layers, and things like pockets can be sewn now into the inner materials without causing punctures, either. The materials will be breathable, but not as breathable as the naked Gore-Tex layers we're used to now. But it would be nice to have a jacket while peeling off a few undergarments. (I'll take some pants with built in butt and knee padding, please.)

The other tech is called X-trafit. Most multi-layer gloves get some parts turned inside out when you take them off. Also, multi layer gore gloves have reduced mobility, grip and finger feel because of the slipping of each layer against another. X-trafit gloves fuse the inner and membrane together, while a grippy material between the inner liner and the outer shell makes the entire thing feel as if it's one piece of material. The only downside is that these gloves are not going to be as warm as those with many different components.

Article on Gizmondo, plus further links

What do you think?. Will it eliminate the noise and moisture issues?

I've been looking at some Vaude jackets. They aren't next-gen-gore-tex, but they look like cotton padded tweed and are actually made of 100% polyester shell lining and filler. They are supposedly waterproof and look breathable, but are priced over even Ventile at 200 quid. I might be tempted to have a go, but am concerned that they'd begin to stink as I they look pretty warm and so there's a chance I would sweat in them, it'd get caught by the filling and end up feeding bacteria, fungus and mould. :yuck:

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Is this really new or am I misunderstanding something. I thought that we already have goretex laminated clothing (with polycotton and or fleece)

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
Even less breathable than regular goretex. My Paclite jacket is not breatable enough for active use, and as a consequense i purchased a jacket in eVent, it's lightyears ahead!

Goretex doesn't have much more than it's brand name left. You can get cheaper, better, lighter alternatives today.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
It sounds interesting, I think Gore-Tex are getting a bit desperate to come out with nowe innovations as the rival companies are getting ahead of them at the moment.

There has been a move toward soft shell waterproof fabrics recently amongst some outdoor types. The soft shell isn't deluge proof but it's good enough for many rainy conditions.

The upside of soft shells is that they stretch, are more resistant to puncturing, they are quiet and more breathable. The downside is that they aren't totally waterproof, they are generally very expensive and there isn't as much choice.

If soft shells were cheaper I'd try them out to see what I think but I don't have the money for them. However I did get a bargain on some Schoeller Dry Fit Nanosphere trousers. I've only recently got them and haven't had chance to put them through their paces yet. If they do perform well in the rain then I'd be interested in a similar jacket (if I can find one reduced-to-clear) as the material is comfortable and silent.

Review of a Schoeller textile jacket

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/1887

Some company blurb
http://www.schoeller-textiles.com/s...geID=232&emotionstate=0&emotionID=11&langID=2

http://www.schoeller-textiles.com/pdf/e_manufacturer_summer08_15_07_08.pdf

These are from Paramo and are also expensive

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/5715

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I use a Montane Superfly XT jacket made out of eVent fabric and when I generate heat by the effort of walking, I often have to take the jacket off, as even unzipped and with the ventilation zips open, I'm uncomfortably hot and sweaty.

However, the material is an improvement over Goretex and is extremely hard wearing.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Surley this is just using the normal goretex membrane in a different way and not a step forward as such, gore windstopper fleeces are made like this, just a matter of changing the face material to something water resistant rather than fleece? :tapedshut

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE