Newbie to Bushmoot - would like some advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 23, 2016
London
Hello, I'm interested in attending Bushmoot this year. I've also looked at Wilderness Gathering. I can't do both. I've never been to either.

I've looked at some past posts comparing the two, it sounds like Bushmoot is more my style but I'd like to check with you guys.

Basically although I am experienced at hiking and camping I am pretty new to traditional bushcraft skills but eager to get some hands on learning. I'm interested in both wilderness survival and traditional craft skills and anything to get more in touch with nature like foraging and tracking.

Which event do you think is best for a newbie to get to try a lot of hands on workshops and gain new skills?

Also: which is easiest to get to from London on public transport?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
I can only comment as a day visitor to the Wilderness Gathering, but I have found the Bushmoot to be more relaxed and less commercial than the Gathering. There are several courses and classes usually offered during the core days catering to foraging and tracking, I am pretty sure that Fraser of Coastal Survival will be offering a foraging course again this year. The Moot itself will have attendees whose kit and skill set varies from Traditional to Modern, and pretty much everybody I have met there for the last five years has been happy to share knowledge and viewpoints. I would suggest, if you have not done so already, reading the Bushmoot thread to get an idea of the previous years courses and classes.
The site itself has access to several different environments from coastal sand dunes to temperate forest, of course, being in Wales expect to get wet, so it is a good place to try things and practice skills, and lifts are always available to the local shops if supplies are needed.
As to transport, I think the nearest train station is Bridgend (please correct me if I am wrong), and someone may be willing to give you a lift in, or the local Taxi drivers should know the place by know.

Hope this helps.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Bushmoot, but I am biased.

It will have all you want though, yes the local train station is Bridgend

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Bridgend is a bit of a hike from the town centre. Very little/no phone reception on site, so bear in mind if you arrange transport from the station and say "I'll ring you when I'm at X" - much better to get a fixed arrival time where possible. Plenty of opportunities to go to local tesco once you're there - just give a shout in the morning at the morning meet, alternatively ask around the naughty corner.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Train from Paddington to Bridgend, book early to get a good price. (Coach may be cheaper but but stop is out of the way.) Taxi to site... job done. There is a bus service which will take you to within around 3km. Can get you all the details should you need. We come up from Kent via Public transport.
This year will be my 3rd Bushmoot and I had a great time, met great folk and learned loads.

Not been to the wilderness but just can not see how it could be better than Bushmoot, just don't see it!!!

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I went to the Moot for the first time in 2015. I really enjoyed it. Public transport is not ideal, I managed to get a lift from Redhill to the Moot. You may want to try seeing if anyone else is going from your area and has space.

Alternatively some people have hiked from Bridgend station, and had I not got a lift, I was going to cycle to the moot from the station.

J

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
We're planning to get to the Moot for the first time this year after many years spent looking at the photos and saying "next time!"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE